1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are you supposed to use DE with chicks in the brooder?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunnyvalewarren, Apr 2, 2009.

1. sunnyvalewarren

sunnyvalewarren New Egg

Mar 30, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    Just wondering if you put DE in with the pine shavings while the chicks are in the brooder. I'll be using the DLM once they are in the coop, but just checking about what happens before that...
    Thanks!

2. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Just go easy with it. It can be ruff on their lungs at that age. I use a salt shaker to apply it.

3. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Honestly I see no reason to.

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    What good could it possibly do????

I mean, chicks are not supposed to be being exposed to mites or worm eggs in the brooder.

I absolutely would not do it myself.

And if you are brooding them somewhere that *does* have a mite or worm problem, the solution is to FIX THAT not rely on DE! [​IMG]

Pat

5. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My brooder was in my house, and I wanted to keep odor on the down low. I put DE into their shavings once they were bigger. It made such a dusty mess. White powdery dust all over EVERYTHING. I didn't make that mistake again. Besides, it's sort of expensive.... I'd save it for when they go into their coop.

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    er, of course even *without* DE you would've got white powdery dust over everything, because that is what chicks DO at that age, they shed implausibly huge amounts of a fine greasy greyish-white dander all over creation as they grow new feathers... [​IMG]

Pat

7. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    That's right, Pat. Dust everywhere. But it really *was* worse with the DE. I had to clean EVERY DAY and ruined my vacume cleaner from dealing with that chick dust on a daily basis. The brooder was under my desk - that's right - under my *computer.* Not really the brightest bulb when it came to grow'n little baby chicks.... live and learn.

Moral of the story: Build your coop BEFORE getting your chickens.... and save your DE for OUTSIDE.

8. KSPixieChick

KSPixieChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2008
    I just added some to my pine shavings for my 6-7week olds. They absolutely loved it. It was fun watching them flap around and wiggle on their sides. [​IMG]

9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

mine is mixed in with all my feed to keep bugs out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by