1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are you SURE roosters can't lay eggs??? :]

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff Oreo, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Buff Oreo

Buff Oreo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    Ok. so i have a rhode island red, and GOD SHE IS LOUD!!! she doesnt crow, but she is all annoying and in your face! literally will jump up at your face! any behavior help [besides culling]???

2. jack bache

jack bache Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2011
    do they get constant food?

3. Buff Oreo

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    Yes! i feed them better than i do myself! ... if i were a chicken :] they have a gravity feeder [galvanized steel hanging type] and i think she is just being a butt! i love her to pieces though. it isnt anything that has to do with the coop [i hope] and think its just behavior! can it be helped befor the county fair???? [​IMG]

4. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

5. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Is she actually aggressively attacking you, or just being annoying wanting attention? Do you hand feed her treats or pick her up? She may be looking for one of those things; I used to have a rooster that would fly up at me or peck at my toes if he wanted to be held.

As long as she is not vicious, it shouldn't be an issue at the fair. I have taken lots of gamefowl to show at the fair, and some of them have been kind of mean, but still won ribbons. She won't be penalized for being noisy lol.

6. Buff Oreo

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    okay. she isnt agressive, and i do hand feed often. the thing is this is my first year with chickens [gasp! the truth comes out!] [​IMG] and i dont know if i raised her wrong, but none of the chickens want or like to be held. the chick in question will just run away. she doesnt want to be held PERIOD. the others will tolerate it, and they can do shows, [i think they know id kill them if they were rude to the judge] [​IMG] anyway, at our fair you are supposed to have your chicken under control, and it shouldnt be whacking you in the face [you could get a red ribbon even IF you have the best looking bird in the world] behavior is a huge thing taught in our poultry programs.

7. jack bache

Dec 4, 2011
    that might be it is she on her own at dad puts all his chooks together and has a major Mitchell in there with them that stopped him from getting peeked but every time i go in the chook pen they always jump up at the chook bucket. so they properly are just beging try and ignore it but you dont have to.

8. Buff Oreo

Dec 5, 2011
    Iowa
    would you be so kind as to define 'chook'? i have NO IDEA what you are trying to say. [​IMG]

9. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    All chickens have different personality's some are quiet, some are loud some are loud on purpose but can be soft spoken when they want to be. Some just talk allthe time non-stop. [​IMG] its not bad just who she is !

10. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Chook = chicken

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by