Are you freezing water containers for your chickens or am I alone in this

I fill plastic cereal containers with water and freeze them then pop them out into a pan to melt during the day.
A container holds about a gallon and lasts all day. The chickens wade in and drink the cold water as it melts off the block.
IMG_20190713_090839518.jpg 2CAA8E144D14_1562863149746.png
But I do have electric in the coop and also run a fan for them.

I fill plastic cereal containers with water and freeze them then pop them out into a pan to melt during the day.
A container holds about a gallon and lasts all day. The chickens wade in and drink the cold water as it melts off the block.
View attachment 1848703 View attachment 1848702
But I do have electric in the coop and also run a fan for them.
I am planning on trying a pile of ice in a baby pool as well.

Yep,I got some el cheapo silicone cake pans and freeze some fruits or veggies in the water. Since the run is all sand, I just throw a few of those down in the afternoons. They’ll peck at those until they are g-o-n-e, gone! The frozen water bottles or ice cubes go right in the waterers.

You are not alone...best thing I've found to cool them off in my humid climate.
No need to put food in the ice chunks.

I give a dose of Sav-a-Chick electrolytes/vitamins about once a week during heat waves. It really seems to help....started this after they saved a heat stroked hen once.
Can mix up a smaller amount, just wrap the packet tight and store in a dry cool place. Always have plain water available too.
full

BIG(9x14x2") chunks of ice last all day for wading, sitting, and sipping.
Much more useful to the chickens than frozen foods and treats.
full

Make space in your freezer!
full

Back
Top Bottom