Are you wondering what "squatting" is? (video)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    This is for those of us who are not familiar with what it means when a chicken "squats".

I took a video of my Dark Brahma who is about ready to lay her first egg. This is what "squatting" looks like. This is one of a few signs that a pullet is getting ready to lay, and it is a sign she is also ready to submit to a rooster and breed. But I don't have a rooster, so she is satisfied with a pat lol. Hope this helps somebody recognize it! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    yep! I am sure it will help. Beautiful hens!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you! She started squatting on Sunday, and last night I thought "hey, maybe a video will help other people get familiar with it..!" and hopefully it will!

I had two BR hens a few years ago and neither squatted ever, so this is new to me [​IMG] My Brahma is pretty reliable when I go to touch her she freezes like that. First time I saw it I was yelling in the backyard at 7am on a sunday morning "SHE SQUATTED! MOM MOM SHE SQUATTED!" lol! [​IMG]

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    WOW that is some good lacing for what I assume is a hatchery Brahma. [​IMG]

Nice demonstration though. [​IMG]

5. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you! I am assuming she is hatchery as well lol but I have no clue. I got her from a lady who raises Cochins [​IMG] traded two Wyandottes for her. I fell in LOVE with the pattern and never wanted a Brahma, but man I am in loooove with the breed now... [​IMG]

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    So, once they start laying, do they always do the squatting thing or is it only before they begin?? I have one layer, but I'm not sure which one it is (could be one of two). One is squatting, the other not so much but she has developed a red comb recently.

7. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Well I know some hens never squat, it can vary. I don't have a current laying hen so I am not sure if they continue the squatting through maturity and stuff. Hopefully somebody will have a better answer! [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    My two layers are 1-2 years old and they both still squat for me!

9. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    So....I have a rooster....my girls are 22-23 weeks...no eggs yet....but almost all have bright red combs now and there is quite a bit of breeding going on.....am thinking....any day now...but the squatting thing, have not seen it except for the rooster. So maybe that is the difference.

Edit: Oct 6th....first egg!!!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  10. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Quote:Thanks for the answer! So, I guess I still have no idea which one is leaving me those cute little eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by