are your chicks as tough as these?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlittle32, Apr 24, 2009.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    We are all gentle and caring for our little chicks..making sure nothing hurts them. This video shows just how tough they really are!!!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They're tougher than we think, aren't they?

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I know this is how we have adapted to baby chicks and their treatment in hatcheries and such -but is still makes me ill watching how rough they are treated-It saddens me is all...

4. chwoey

chwoey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    This video kinda makes me mad.. They are living creatures and they are treated as nothing more then an object. [​IMG]
    poor babies, I'm glad that our chickens have good lives, saving them from the factory nightmare.

5. SarahFair

SarahFair Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2008
    Monroe, Ga
    Woow...
    Toss them there toss them there.
    I wonder how many die through that assembly line [​IMG]
    Guess the strongest survive

6. Evermore Ranch

Evermore Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    NW Alabama
    So is that how they really sex them by the 2 rows of feathers? is that on their wing?

7. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Poor little things--what a rough first day. Now I feel bad that I bought mine at Rural King. I guess that's how they were treated. I hope they're happier here with us!

8. chickndoglover

chickndoglover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Victoria, BC Canada
    Between watching that video and they trauma the little ones went through being mailed up here (to Canada) then over 50 drowned when they got to the lady that ordered them, I have decided I cant get any more babies from hatcheries, it makes me way to sad. I will try to get them from local people or hatch my own.

9. the_great_snag

the_great_snag Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Staples, Minnesota
    These birds are most likely all Leghorn hybrids, and all the Leghorns I've ever owned were very scrappy survivors.

I think when you consider that a chick is born under their mom's butt, have to chase her around their habitat at only a couple days of age, and endure attacks from jealous hens, roosters, etc., as well as predator attacks, that they are probably a lot tougher than we give them credit for.

I am a proud meat eater and have no problem with keeping animals as livestock and not as pets. I recognize that the vast majority of chickens are kept strictly for their intrinsic monetary value as a farm animal.

However, I'm not a fan of factory farming either. It's a fact of life though, no matter how untasteful it is. If there is any silver lining to it, they are probably the reason we can buy production quality hens for such good prices. And as others have said, the more chickens private individuals keep for eggs, the less demand there will be for these factory chicken eggs.

Anyone else notice they never showed the "wood chipper" they are reputed to use to cull males?

Oh, and those birds are specially bred to be feather sexed. Not all breeds can be sexed that way...

10. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    After watching this video I better understand why all my chicks from a hatchery have 100% survival rate!

It is survival of the fittest from day 1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by