are your dogs and chicken friends

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cary 1973, Mar 21, 2013.

1. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

this is a normal day here at my house Dog and chickens hang out all the time. they are some safe chickens well as long as Candii wakes up in time :)

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    aw, cute! My chickens didn't like my dog. He didn't chase them, though. If he was asleep, they'd tip-toe around him. Yes, chickens can tip-toe. [​IMG]

3. JoeyOsborne

JoeyOsborne Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Cornwall, England, U.K
    our dogs are friends with our chickens as they were all raised with animals, its lovely to see them protect the chickens just like they would for any of there own! im just weary on weather the chickens will be scared of predators as they may confuse a fox with the dogs but haven't ever had any problems yet!:)

4. furbabymum

furbabymum Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2012
    Burns, Wyoming
    Nope. Chickens are a job for the akbash though not full time as he's still a pup. Others would eat them without a thought.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]
    Yep, Dakota takes his chicken-keeping very seriously. Sadly, he may not be here for this year's hatch (if I even decide to have chicks this year) as he has cancer in his mouth and the tumors are spreading. I'm hoping my next dog will be as easily trained as this one was....

1 person likes this.
  6. cary 1973

Sorry to hear about your puppy's and his cancer that sucks, I am kind of right there with you my yellow lab is 14 and has cancer in her hips along with dysphia and arthritis in the front legs her kidneys are slowly going so we too are doing quality of life check list. it sucks :{

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Our dog is almost 10. He's still active, (loves to chase an empty milk jug down our frozen driveway) is able to eat and doesn't seem to be in any pain so far. We will not let him suffer.

8. Henny

Henny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Northeast
    [​IMG]
    My dog is very good with our chickens. When he is outside our chickens are safe. In addition to protecting them from land predators he also watches the sky and will bark and chase any big birds such as hawks and vultures flying overhead.

9. cary 1973

I am thinking some dogs make very good roosters :}

1 person likes this.
  10. My dogs and chickens are great freinds. I dont have a picture :( . Bobby-j I hope ure dog gets better soon one of my dogs just recently died. Good Luck with ure sick doggy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by