1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Are your eggs dirty?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kangasox, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    My eggs are consistently dirty. I'm trying to keep them unwashed until we use them, but putting them in the refrigerator like this kinds of grosses me out. The ducks have a large coop. We use deep litter, and they have a nest box and another area they like to lay where I try to keep fresh bedding. But...ducks. they always switch up their spots too. Are duck eggs just dirty??

2. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Mine are much dirtier than chicken eggs. The ducks will lay in the nest, but they also sleep in there too, so poop it up.
    They did lay for about a week where nobody pooped in the nest at all, so I had clean eggs - that was nice

Instead of washing, just use a light brush and brush off some of the dried poop before putting them in the fridge.

4. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    I use the scrubby side of a dry sponge to brush off the gross bits. it works pretty well. It took me about a month to get used to it - we have only had grocery store eggs here before ducks - but now I don't even notice. It's just part of duck eggs! I even sell them unwashed to a Vietnamese family. They didn't want me to wash them first, they were expecting them to be dirty.

5. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    fun fact if the eggs come out dirty your ducks have a high chance of worms so just look out for that [​IMG]

6. jducour

jducour Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2015
    Utah
    That is not a fun fact at all [​IMG]

But very informative [​IMG]
    I didn't know that! I just have clumsy dirty feet walking over mine. I am in the process of trying to nest train them though [​IMG]

7. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    Ohh sorry not fun sad fact

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by