Are your hens' eggs smaller in the winter?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Feb 23, 2008.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Mine have been small lately, but it's been frigid here. My guess is that the girls are conserving energy. Do you think I can expect the eggs to be bigger once the temperature increases? The girls are about 10 months old, and my eggs are now averaging about 2.2 ounces. (FWIW, I have a BR, RIR, BO, and a BA.)

2. ChuckenGirl

ChuckenGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2007
    Maryland :)
    is it there first year? usually when they start laying there eggs are smaller

3. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    yes. they're 10 months old. but the eggs have gotten smaller in the cold weather.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Our young chickens are laying small eggs and ocassionally a larger one. We like our eggs small, they work well in our egg poacher. We have only two older chickens left which lay large eggs, we give them away, they will soon be going to the pot for soup.

5. spottedtail

spottedtail Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2007
    Minnesota
    2.2 oz. is a good size.
    What was the average weight before they went down?

spot

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Occasionally I do get a smaller egg. Once in awhile I get a huge egg too!

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine pretty much stay the same size. Sometimes I might get a smaller one.

Are you offering free feed? They may need a nutritional boost in frigid weather. On really cold days here I toss out a handful of kitty kibble with the a bit of cracked corn in the late evening. They are getting some extra protein and then the added corn to help with staying warm.

Remember kitty kibble is made for cats, not for chickens. So don't over do it. There are things in there that might get them chemically unbalanced but the occassional extra does help.

If you have some extra eggs you could cook them and feed them back to your hens with some cooked rice and yogurt for a good boost too.

I have noticed this winter that the day after I have given my chickens warm oatmeal, rice, chopped eggs and yogurt I get better eggs. I mean like super eggs. Hard shelled, really rich yolks and tight whites.

8. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Thanks, Prissy. They do have plenty of food, and I give them BOSS and kitchen scraps on occasion. They SCARF up lettuce and tomatoes this time of year. I'll try giving them some oatmeal today. It's been a VERY cold winter here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by