Are Your Hens on Vacation???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Guy John, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Country Guy John

Country Guy John Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    Hello Everyone,

I would like for everyone to chime in and let me know if your hens are taking a much needed break from laying eggs. I have barred rocks, australorps, and jersey giants and they are all on vacation. Those that were molting have new feathers and look picture book perfect. I have to admit that it has been cold here in South Carolina this year.

Just let me know if your hens are laying or not.

Thanks everyone.

2. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Yes, mine are on vacation from eggs laying. I have 8 hen and am lucky to get 1 a day right now. We're in Ga and the temps have been in the 20's for sooo long now I think they are just concentrating on staying warm during the day freeranging. At night they have a toasty heated coop to go home to.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Nope. Although our Red Stars were laying up til a few days ago, when it hit the single digits. We also have one EE hen, a variety of mixed breeds, one Silver Spangled Hamburg banty, three Delawares, a Silkie cross, right now I can't remember what else. All on a well deserved break.

4. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine were until I added a light and a timer, 14 hour days, 1 mini molt and added oyster shells to thier feed they are all back to laying again. No heat, no insulation, just a draft free coop. This is even with temps getting into the single digits.

5. Preservation Acres

Preservation Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    My hens are always on vacation. If I were living on eggs, I'd be dead.

6. Bandit

Bandit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Utah
    My SL Wyandotte just started laying for the first time in November and still lays an egg almost every day. The GL Wyandotte will lay one about once a week. One of the BOs started laying a couple times a week, and the other BO started laying for the first time two weeks ago so I have quite a few eggs coming! I was surprised because I only have a red heat lamp in the coop and it just goes on for 15 minutes about every 3 hours to keep off the chill when it's below 10 degrees at night. So they lay without artificial light. [​IMG]

7. WagonBrooder

WagonBrooder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2009
    Nashville
    Mine are laying but they are 6 1/2 months old. I started them in mid summer.

8. 1birdlady

1birdlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Our Barred Rocks are laying regularly, even thru our cold spell (North Houston area)...we expected them to be less, but they're keeping on! [​IMG]

We have 4 hens, and regularly get from 2 to 4 eggs a day.
    They are not yet a year old, so have not had any moults yet.
    They will be a year old in April.

We do give them warm oatmeal every morning and evening during this cold spell, and always leftover parrot food, which is fresh veg, and a "bird bread" I make for the parrot, rich in flax and wheat germ...but that's a minute amount of the hens food...a "treat".

We are very pleased with their offerings! [​IMG]

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine took a good long vacation when they went thru their 18 month molt. Everybody's been back to laying since mid-Novemeber; averaging 7 eggs a day (13 hens).[​IMG]

10. Zed3

Zed3 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2009
    Huntingtown, MD
    My 6 Golden Comets have been laying 6 eggs per day since Sept. They do a light that comes on around 4 AM and stays on until sunrise.

Z

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by