Are your roos mean or nice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by M To The Maxx, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Nice

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mean

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    My roos were the sweetest roos I ever had!!!! [​IMG] What about your roos?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I love my roo, Thor. He's dumber than a box of rocks, but I still love him. [​IMG]

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Sadly I lost all my roos to a unknown disease. I miss them!!!!! [​IMG]

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I have 3 silkie roos that I hatched out in April! They are really sweet, and its a good thing too, because they have to stay inside, or they will give me away! [​IMG]

5. loralei

loralei Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    New Caney, Texas
    Sorry for your losses! What kind of roos did you have? I'm looking to replace mine. Rudy is as mean as a snake and is destined for the stockpot! And not just to the girls but to me too! I have never encountered an animal that I could not win over. :-(

6. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    Do you have a vote up there for I have some sweet roo's and some that are mean as all get out?????

About half and half I'd say.

Laney

7. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I start with all my roos usually very young handling them and making them eat out of my hand to stay ahead of their game. There's nothing worse than a roo you can't trust. I won't have one anyway. I'm not saying they're all perfect some act better than others but if they want to hang around its not hard all they have to do is recognize the one with the feed bucket and all's well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  8. conrad_roy

conrad_roy New Egg

Sep 29, 2009
    my roo is not tame unlike my other chickens who were hatched by my bator. he was an adopted roo. any advice on how to make him like me?

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have three.

Spaz- Blue Ameraucana... he's afraid of me.

Big Daddy - Huge Partridge Cochin... keeps his distance

Barack - GC Maran .. very sassy and really does think alot of himself, bit of a narcisist. Once he gets me some babies we'll replace him with one of his sons.

10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    None of mine are mean, though there are a few that like to try me sometimes. My bantam cochin was a little punk until I started letting him free range, now he's the sweetest guy [​IMG] My lakenvelder likes to try me now and again, but my embden goose has taken on the job of protector and stays between me and that roo as much as possible. My phoenix Charlie tried to dance one day, not sure what the deal was with that! He could have been spooked by one of the guineas, I didn't pay attention. All I know is that it looked like he was trying to get me [​IMG] Then I have a bantam OE roo that likes to chase my son, but he deserves it. He (my son) will go running right next to that little roo, just egging him on. So far, the roo hasn't caught him, and the roo has calmed down since my son caught the roo, but he still tries it sometimes. It's pretty funny, this roo is about mid-calf height to my almost 5 y/o, and he acts like he's soooooo big!! [​IMG]

But mostly, they stay out of my way [​IMG] I do have one that I call 'Sugar', he's a 4-ish month old OEG cockerel. This is the only bird that will actively seek me out (looking for food). I've often got him on my shoulder or my arm, wherever he can reach the food can easier. He's a sweetie [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by