Are your roos naughty.....or nice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Solsken Farm, Jun 22, 2008.

1. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

I suspect I have at least 3 roos out of a standard sized flock of 15. I am hoping to keep 2 of them. One is a neat barred rock/EE mix and the other is a white mutt that my son loves. I am hoping that they everyone will get along. Is this wishful thinking or will we have to ultimately separate the roos or even rehome them?

How many of you have mature roos that are gentle and socialized?

How many of you need gloves and a broom when you enter your chicken zone?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2008
  2. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    my roo Lou is the friendliest bird i have. he likes to be picked up and carried. he gets along with everyone. and he does a little dance and waits for then to squat down before mounting them. he is wonderful.

[​IMG]

3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Unfortunately the problem will be them overmating the hens not nessecarily fighting with each other. They may get along very well together but the hens backs will suffer. [​IMG]

You could use that as an excuse to get more hens though! [​IMG]

BTW all my boys (8) are sweeties with me no brooms and gloves here.

4. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Flip.. he is a GREAT looking Rooster!!!

My Roosters are friendly so far too. Not as friend as Lou though! (well, Mango is)

5. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    I have 3 Roo's with 12 hens and they get along ok.
    I do need to pick the best one and give the others to my neighbor. With 8, 1.5 week old chicks, I know more Roo's will be in that batch. It's so hard to pick!

6. Ang

Ang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    West Central Illinois
    I have 3 adult roos that get along pretty well. There is a pecking order but they mostly respect that and we haven't had any knock down dray outs. I have about 30 hens and the 3 roos all in together. I only have a couple hens that are "favorites" and have bare backs.

7. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    I also have a very sweet rooster. He even loves to take care of the babies. I have a young roo that has not yet shown signs of being a rooster, but with his spurs, wattles, and comb, I'm pretty sure. So far he is very nice too. I have 19 hens so I'm hoping I can keep this young roo, because he is the only blue I have. I think if you have enough hens to go around, you can just watch and see. I did it before and had another rooster in with my Romeo, and they had their own pecking order and the other rooster knew the ladies belonged to Romeo. Unfortunately the other roo drowned in the water trough. Maybe he comitted suicide because he was getting "no-love". [​IMG] Good luck, just keep an eye on everyone, only time will tell.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  8. larlar23

larlar23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    i have 48 hens and 15 that are roos. for a total of 63 chickens. so far thay are getting along fine but i know that i have to get rid of some boys. i have some that are realy friendly and some that run. no broom and gloves here ether. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by