Aren't chickens suppose to eat flies?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by auntie hattie, Jun 29, 2011.

1. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    I thought when I got chickens I wouldn't have to deal with a lot of flies but it seems like I have 3 times more. I have hung fly strips but they don't seem to work. I never see flies on them. Any suggestions? What do you do to keep down the flies? I have been going in the chicken run each night and cleaning up the poop but that hasn't helped. I'm a little worried my neighbors might notice.

2. auntie hattie

auntie hattie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Ugh sorry! I was checking out the coops and then went out to check my chickens and was thinking about the flies and came in posted in the wrong spot. Sorry i will get the hang of this soon. I hope.

3. CatDaddyAlbert

CatDaddyAlbert NoFeathersRuffled

Apr 22, 2011
    Gumboro, Delaware
    Only if they can catch them. [​IMG]

4. LoreenH

LoreenH Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Oregon
    Quote:x2

5. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:x2

x3

Mine usually don't try. They seem to prefer mosquitoes or moths, which are just as fine in my book.

6. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine try to catch them. Try sprinkling some Food grade diatomaceous earth powder around. [​IMG]

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    We have stupid flies here, they fly into the water bowls and get stuck. It's like bobbing for apples but for chickens!!!

8. HappyChickenLover

HappyChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Yea my chickens don't bother flies, mine like ants and beetles and worms. Flies help break down poop which is good....

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  9. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    Our Silkies are hopeless at catching flies...I see them listening and they peck at where the sound was....but of course they are gone by then [​IMG] I havnt actually seen the cochins get a fly...but at least they can see them and try [​IMG]
    I hear hanging the vanilla sented car deodorisers help...or was that for gnats....Hmmm I'm getting [​IMG]

10. Omah09

Omah09 Out Of The Brooder

I just started using the vanilla scented car deodorizer and it helps. I have one just outside the door in a protected area and one inside. There are still plenty of flies in the yard but they aren't hanging around the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by