Aren't they old enough to lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AK Michelle, Sep 7, 2009.

1. AK Michelle

AK Michelle Bad Girl of the North

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I got my chicks Easter weekend, April 11th. Some were already a couple weeks old, others were day olds. But still no eggs.

I feed them a layer mix, they have oyster shell and I feed them treats of mashed hard boiled eggs, cottage cheese, bread, salad, fruit & yogurt (not all at once, but a variety)

They are out in the yard most of each day dining on grass & bugs, sunning themselves and just being spoiled rotten chickens.

When will the free-loading end? [​IMG] Are they just like teenagers, once you feed them they're just going to hang out and do nothing? [​IMG]

Is there anything I can do differently to "inspire" they to get busy?

2. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    I know they are late blooomers LOL I feel like i have been wating for ever for my girls to lay. Someone said, 26-28 weeks???

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Depending on the breed some seem to take forever.

Our RIR were starting at 20 weeks, whereas our Buff Brahmas took forever.

Good luck, and I hope you see eggs in the boxes soon.

4. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    I was still putting things together for my birds at 17 weeks. my son found a stash of about 8 eggs undar the lip of sand box. After ssearching other hideing areas we found 7 more eggs. If free around the yard they hide them well.

just like the teenagers you mentioned- they try to hide everything they do.

5. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

They are confined to the run till they start laying eggs and figure out where they go. So they really don't have anywhere to stash them.

6. tryingtohaveitall

tryingtohaveitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Ohio
    We got ours the same weekend and some are laying, some are not. I didn't see if you mentioned what breeds you have. Some mature and lay earlier than others.

Out of our 11 pullets and 1 hen, we did get 7 eggs one day but most days we're getting 4 or 5. Of course, 3 of those pullets are Golden Comets, known for starting to lay earlier.

Hopefully soon!

7. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I have silkies, Mille Fluer's , Dorkings and then some marans mixes and ee's

8. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    I keep a light on 24/7. Basically I don't have timer and I forget to turn it off. But they don't havea window so they would be in total dark without the light once they were in the coop.

Should I put a much lower watt bulb in so it is darker but not pitch black? Or is the light not a problem? Or should I just suck it up and quit spoiling the birds (don't know if I can do that... See the crazy chicken lady thread [​IMG] )

9. AK Michelle

Mar 17, 2009
    Palmer, Alaska
    The eggs are here!!! We got our first egg, it's a nice medium sized light tan egg. Silkie perhaps? It was on the floor but it was perfectly shaped and beautiful!
    [​IMG]

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Congrats!!!! See, all that complaining worked. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by