Arg... (advice needed)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Morgan7782, Jun 28, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Alright, so I have an issue and need some advice. I am about to run out of grower crumbles for my chicks. Four of them are 8 weeks old, and two are 12 weeks old. I thought my pay day was tomorrow, but because of some glitch I made that was wrong and I won't be paid until Wednesday. What can I use from now until Wednesday to feed my chicks? This is a ONE time incident, I feel simply awful for misjudging my own payday.. Any advice would be great. I have veggies, oatmeal, eggs, and a few other things I can work with. We don't have any grains or anything like that sadly. Thank you again, this is only to feed them through Tuesday. The breeds are dual purpose, so not meat birds thank goodness. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    hard boiled eggs,left overs,grass...its only a day...they will be OK...it happens, Im on a first name basis with the District manager for TSC because the store manager cant count or order...mine have gone without feed for a day....they will forgive you!

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you, I have 6 chicks total, and went from 2 to 6, thought I would be ok feed wise until tomorrow. Well, I WAS lol, but now I know I get paid Wednesday. As soon at the feed store open at 8am I will be waiting at the door and THIS time I am getting a whole 50 lbs bag! I was not aware what 6 chicks would go through!

4. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    I have used a little cat food in a pinch, but only the sea food variety. Yes, I did read the ingredient panel. Chicken was not listed.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Finely dice the veggies & mix with boiled eggs. They'll [​IMG] it.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Thank you very much for the tips [​IMG] I just make them a nice crisp salad and the 8 weekers LOVED it. My older girls were so not impressed, and just looked at me like "What the heck are we supposed to do with that??" My older girls are darn near strictly carnivors. But they are free ranged so I think they will get enough food today. My 8 weekers are inside being quarantined so they are the ones I was most concerned with. Luckily they are not as picky!!

7. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You can feed them just about anything in your kitchen [​IMG]

Mine get all my food scraps - bread ends, over ripe fruit, plus whatever comes out of the fridge no longer fit for human consumption - even meat. (in fact meat is their favorite fridge snack - does not matter if it is beef, chicken, pork or fish - oops forgot duck, goose) They also get boiled eggs at least once a week.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Cat food. Smash it up a bit, add it to cooked oatmeal OR scrambled eggs. The salad greens will be a nice treat. So will BOSS, and I *know* you have some BOSS.

They'll be fine. [​IMG]

9. angelique_redhead

angelique_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    DFW, Texas
    They also love cooked rice. Mine will actually fight over it. [​IMG]: Angelique

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Yep have plenty of BOSS left! Great, thanks guys! I guess chickens have gotten along fine thusfar without processed chicken feed huh? [​IMG] Glad I don't have to worry too much, I was very worried yesterday! They all seem to be fine, fat and healthy [​IMG] Well not FAT, but definately healthy hehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by