1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ARG! Chickens discovered my veggie garden!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Jul 7, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My chickens have been free-ranging in my backyard for WEEKS. I've been feeling rather smug, watching them eat grass & weeds but not touch the veggies. We had a wet & cold spring in the Pacific Northwest, so my garden is only just now getting a decent start. I had to replant quite a bit because of it.

[​IMG] :mad: Well, so much for that. :mad: [​IMG]

Today the little boogers - led by the resident twisted beak banty - figured out that all those succulent little plants are t-a-s-t-y.

Beans I just replanted & only recently sprouted? mowed down
    Jalapenos I'd been nursing in special terra cota pots? totally leafless
    Basil untouched by slugs or snails? trimmed neatly
    Replanted cucumbers? nibbled to lace

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Strangely, they didn't touch the lettuce, tomatoes, peas, kohlrabi, or sweet peppers. I think they were saving those for dessert for tomorrow. Sigh...

Now I have to get their run completed so that I can use the leftover chicken wire to fence off the veggies. You know, the veggies I planted for people, not chickens.

2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Frankly, Jenn, I think it rude of you not to plant some of those wonderful veggies for your hens. If you *really, truly* loved them, you wouldn't have such a bad attitude about this little episode. [​IMG]

Carla
    PS Please don't let your hens know about your posting; it may hurt their feelings. shhhhhhh ......

3. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    You know, when I say them I was pretty amazed that your garden was intact! I guess it was only a matter of time.

btw-both girls jumped up on my lap this evening. I felt so special! It must have been the wax worms.

4. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Like I say, Dena, I was feeling smug about it! lol Serves me right.

DBF wound up with 4 chicks on him tonight: 2 on an arm, 1 on his head & another on his shoulder - all of their own volition! Tribble was the last one to jump on his thigh. Pretty funny stuff. She makes these funny noises & I imagine her talking to the others:

Fret fret fret fret fret ... we shouldn't be doing this...fret fret fret fret... get off of there... ooohhhh fret fret fret​

5. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Quote:Thats probably because they havent figured out that they are tasty as well [​IMG]

6. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    Just think of the healthy eggs you will get in return!!! LOL!! It's funny and not funny and I keep an eagle eye on my little hooligans when they are out just so they DON"T discover my garden!!! Sorry about that! [​IMG]

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    [​IMG]

If you look closely it's like a before & after. Jalapenos on the left... GONE... sweet peppers on the right... being saved for the next day.

8. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    You got that run finished yet? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by