ARG! crazy egg eating broody!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sunket77, Dec 17, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    went to check on my broody today and she was sitting there with two dead chicks in front of her! it looks like they started to hatch and she started eating the eggs. I knew I had an egg eater in the flock and I may just have figured out who! Fully developed chicks.... [​IMG] so sad!! [​IMG] we have been trying to hatch nankins for a year now and we get this close and now this! good news is when she got up there was a little fluffy butt under her fluffed out and doing fine [​IMG] so I am thinking the safest bet is to take the other eggs left to hatch and put them in the bator what do yall think?? she has three left, I hate for them to have the same fate [​IMG]

2. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    either take them off her or watch her very closely so she doesnt kill anymore of them.

3. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    ok so I moved the eggs into the bator, little to no movement happening with them [​IMG] So I have this one little chick I took from the broody because of her odd behavior I didn't want anything to happen to it. So it's in a little brooder with heat and just crying constantly [​IMG] I took it and put it in my shirt for a while so it was perfectly quiet. Now I tried to go to bed and it's chirping it's little heart out with no one else around. I don't know what to do! I have never dealt with having only one chick before. The eggs in the bator are not showing much signs of life [​IMG] any suggestions on how to comfort this lone chick? [​IMG] aside taking it to bed with me!

4. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
    do you have a fluffy toy or something you could put in with her so it can push under it to feel secure

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Gosh you got a long road ahead of you! I've dealt with MANY lone chicks.

With the most recent ones, we put a stuffed animal in the brooder with them.

Feather dusters are also good because it feels more like mommy. [​IMG]

They snuggle right up and go to sleep!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by