ARGG!!! Call Duck incubating Tips.. 4/44 hatched

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Neverenuff, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    Frustrated!! I have hatched ducks before with great sucess, however these call ducks are going to be my demise. I put 44 eggs in 2 different incubators 40 made it to 26 days I got 2 out of each incubator to hatch and I had to help those out. My Temp was dead on 99.0 -100.0 forced air and different humitidys the first bator I ran it about 40% the other one 55% one was hand turned the other was turned by a turner. I had only 6 outer pips total and one more internal pip the rest did not pip at all. I tried to help the others out but they did not make it. My friend is giving me 30 more eggs sunday if I want to try again. Anyone have any tips? I have not ruled out trying to buy a adult (chicken) hen to set but I doubt that I could get one by sunday and convice her to go broody (and I do not know any chicken people around here). I am on a time constraint. The ducklings have to be 6 months old by end of November (using them for a dog herding trial). So If I do not put them in this week I am out of luck.
    any thoughts?

Jamie

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Try cooling and misting the eggs. About day 7, cool the eggs for 5-10 min per day and mist during that cool down period. That helped me increase my hatch rates. I also started hatching in cartons, like I do my chickens, and I believe that has helped also.

3. Neverenuff

Neverenuff Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2008
    Harrodsburg, Kentucky
    Thanks. I did not cool or mist, mosly because it has been so wet here in Kentucky for the past month is the reason I did not mist. I did hatch in cartons. So when you cool the eggs do you physically take them out of the bator or just open the bator top? [​IMG] the next hatch goes better.

Jamie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by