Argh! Bloat again!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Apr 12, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Went out to do evening milking and found that both my does are bloated! We just went through this with Bella a couple weeks ago and now Fleur looks bloated as well. I think this time it's that we just got a new bale of hay. The last bale we got was not great quality, looked kind of old and the goats wasted a lot of it as they didn't really like it. We got a new bale yesterday afternoon that is much better quality and I think the girls just overate once they got that good hay. I can't think what else it could be. I gave them both some baking soda, milk of magnesia, and probios. I really hope that works.

2. raneydayfarm

raneydayfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    [​IMG] I hope you can get them over it. The word "bloat" just makes my stomach turn, we lost our nanny Boer kid last week over bloat. She tried really hard to overcome it but it was just too much for her. Sending good vibes your way. [​IMG]

3. BFeathered

BFeathered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    North Texas
    I hope your does are doing better. "Bloat" gives me the willies... never a good thing, and it's just miserable for the critter. Don't you wish you could just throw them over your shoulder like a human baby and "burp" them? Good luck... [​IMG]

4. chickylou

chickylou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Well, we haven't gotten bloat, but we certainly can identify! We picked up two bales of hay and it was "yucky" quality compared to what my does have been getting. They refused to eat most of it and were feeling mighty hungry. I still have a bale of the really good stuff and thought I'd mix to transition them. I couldn't bare seeing them not eat and I also saw my milking doe's production go down. They don't like "yucky" hay - spoiled or not...can't quite blame them. [​IMG] Even my 6 year old said, "It kind of looks like straw, Mama." It certainly wasn't as green and leafy as the last bales.

So after reviewing all my goat resources and books, I read that it is best to feed them three or so times a day doling out hay in portions so they don't squander it and poop on it, urinate on it or just plain not eat it after its hit the floor. This also helps with bloat. Just a thought. If you are a SAHM this might be a possibility.

I hope the bloating stops. I do appreciate what you posted about baking soda, milk of magnesia and probios. I keep learning.

5. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Yeah, we do tend to give them small amount throughout the day. I just went out to check on them and they still look bloated, but not as bad as Bella was last time. I will be checking, massaging, and walking them as the night goes on. I was really looking forward to a decent night of sleep tonight... oh well.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    That can be so life threatening.

When I was a kid we kept a tube punch for our cattle to relieve the pressure if needed.

Good luck.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Plain vegetable oil will relieve bloat faster than most anything else

8. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    If when I think they have bloat I use Bloat Release...much better on the rumin than oil...only use vegatable oil as last resort.

9. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    What exactly is "Bloat Release"? What's in it, and where do you get it?

10. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, they both seem fine today. Bella still looks a little bit bloated, but they are both active, chewing their cud, and appear perfectly comfortable. Thank goodness it wasn't as bad as last time!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by