Argh broody

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
I just got chicks 4 weeks ago. My 2 year old FBCM, who has been positively cranky and nasty with the chicks, has decided now would be a great time to go broody! :rolleyes:

At least her time in isolation means the chicks get a 2-3 day vacation from her crankiness. Hoping I can roost train them super fast, that would be fantastic.

TheOddOneOut

🙄🤚 Doing my best.
Feb 15, 2020
Oregon
I just got chicks 4 weeks ago. My 2 year old FBCM, who has been positively cranky and nasty with the chicks, has decided now would be a great time to go broody! :rolleyes:

At least her time in isolation means the chicks get a 2-3 day vacation from her crankiness. Hoping I can roost train them super fast, that would be fantastic.
Lol!

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
I'm pretty sure the chicks triggered it. The last time I got chicks, my head hen suddenly grew spurs. Was waiting for something weird to happen, so I guess a hen going broody for the first time would count.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
I'm pretty sure the chicks triggered it. The last time I got chicks, my head hen suddenly grew spurs. Was waiting for something weird to happen, so I guess a hen going broody for the first time would count.
Kinda wishes the broody hatched 5 weeks ago, with a single female, had triggered another to go broody.

rosemarythyme

Scarborough Fair
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
My Coop
Well guess it worked out after all. With Ms. Cranky in broody jail (I used the brooder I'd just kicked the chicks out of) the chicks voluntarily put themselves on the roost at dusk. No training, no "baby roost," they got up on the lower roost, huddled up, and went to sleep. :)

Top Bottom