Argh! First day of lockdown, but humidity @ 50%

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Red&Yellow, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Oh, I am so frustrated. This incubation has been crazy. (Well, more crazy than normal)

First, the temp swings because the weather in Maryland dosen't feel like conforming to a season, then the humidity troubles - I like to keep it about 40-45 percent throughout incubation, but was havig such trouble! It fluctuated between 30-40, and the eggs felt it - I saw some rather large air pockets than I like.

And now! Lockdown, and only 50%!! [​IMG] [​IMG] Urgh!

Sorry for the rant.........

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If it's only the first day, soak a paper towel (or two) and crack the incubator just enough to cram them in.

3. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Yeah, did that...now 55. [​IMG]

But thanks.

4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    You're ok on the day of lockdown to ad wet things as you feel fit. Even crack the lid a couple of times to mist water over the eggs, but you can't do this once they are pipped. Good luck. Had a few humidity problems myself.

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Don't worry about opening the incubator until the first egg pips. Up to that point, you aren't going to mess them up by opening and closing. Put whatever you have to in there to get the humidity up--I use lots of wet rags. I always wet them with hot water which helps get the humidity up fast.

And don't worry about large air cells, unless they're really ridiculous (like 1/2 the total egg volume). In fact, 1/3 the total volume is ideal. I just lost most of a hatch because my air cells were too small. Only the four eggs with large air cells hatched (out of 20 eggs).

Just do what you can to get the humidity up. It will go up further when they start to hatch. Then sit back and enjoy. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by