Argh! Have to figure this out!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by corvidae, Apr 12, 2011.

1. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    I can get a totally free 4'x7' wooden playhouse, about 5' tall that would be absolutely perfect for a chicken coop, BUT, I have to figure out how to move it without it costing a small fortune. Does anyone have any ideas?? I don't have a truck available to me--just my Honda CRV and the people who have it say it is nailed together rather than screwed. I am so frustrated I'm just about hopping. I really want this--free is a wonderful price (even with the modifications I'd have to make)!

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Can you rent a uhaul trailer for a day? Do any of your friends have a trailer you can use? How about friends with trucks? I would kill to find something like that for free but we never have them around here.

3. Daphne16

Daphne16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Do you know anyone with a mini van? If not uhaul is aroun $20 for like 2 hours, I think

4. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    That sounds like it will fit in a pickup truck. U-haul rents pickup trucks. If it's too big for the truck, rent a pickup truck and a trailer, or one of their big moving trucks.

You could call a local delivery company. There are a number of independent small businesses that run building materials and such between suppliers and job sites.

Or check your local classified under "Services". There are usually a number of folks there that advertise for junk removal or hauling that would have a trailer to move it. If it's not too far I'd think $50 to $75 would get it done.

5. Celtic Chick

Celtic Chick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 7, 2011
    SE Wis
    Quote:[​IMG]

6. THINGUM

THINGUM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Seems like someone u know must have a riggin' you could borrow (buy gas, promise 'em eggs) unless u live in Manhattan [​IMG] There is often "for hire" movers in the local "nickels worth" style classifieds. I know for a fact if you promise the defensive line of a local college football team a keg of beer, it will be at your house by dark, today [​IMG]

7. boisemarker

boisemarker New Egg

Apr 14, 2011
    Another alternative, if you're handy, is to take several pictures (preferably from several sides), pry the thing apart, remove the nails, move it to your place in pieces, and then put it back together - this time with screws. It would be some work, but might be an alternative to pulling your hair out. (I hear wigs are expensive these days).

8. THINGUM

Jan 17, 2011
    Quote:NOW THERE'S AN IDEA !! REALLY

9. THINGUM

Jan 17, 2011
    If you had a sawzall (or buy a $20 one @ harbor frt.) Cut most of the nails, pry it apart, stack it on a trailer, AND REMEMBER it's only a chicken coop. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by