Argh--I have to wear gloves to collect my eggs...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by iamcuriositycat, Jul 31, 2010.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    And not because they're filthy, lol! (My girls have gotten pretty good at using the nests and the eggs are mostly very clean these days).

No, it's because one particular girl wants to sit on the eggs, and she gets really really nasty when I try to take them. I won't let her brood because she had an opportunity earlier this year, and she blew it by punching a hole in a live egg and kicking the rest out right before they hatched (I finished the survivors in the incubator). I think she's like a woman who loves the idea of being pregnant but hates the sound of screaming infant--she just wants to sit on them, not HATCH them for goodness sake.

So. Anyway. Now I have to wear gloves to collect my eggs, because I can't get under her to get the eggs without getting bitten. Such an aggravation. How long before she gives up trying if I keep taking the eggs every day?

2. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    Have you tried breaking her of her broody habit? Wire cage, air flowing underneath her, and all? She sounds like a determined broody...

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    No, I haven't tried anything other than collecting the eggs. It's only been a couple days, and she gets up after an hour or so and goes out with the other ducks until evening, so she's not determined yet... so tell me more about breaking her if I have to? Thank you!!

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would wait until she leaves and then just snatch them up. Have you tried a spray bottle with water. Put it onto stream and spray her butt. Mine hate that and run off.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  5. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Oh, I love the water! I don't want to wait on her because I am so forgetful! lol Also, I often have obligations in the house and around town and if I don't collect the eggs while I'm out there in the morning, it may never get done.

I'm going to take a spray bottle with me in the morning instead of the gloves. Thanks!

6. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Any success with the water squirting?

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Nope--but only because I keep forgetting to bring it with me!! lol The mornings have been unseasonably cool, and I've been in sweatshirts, so I've just been pulling the sleeves down over my hands and collecting the eggs. She leaves the nest eventually, but only after I've removed the eggs. She's very grumpy with me right now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by