Argh! Kids and quail do NOT mix!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by RunningRabbit, Dec 1, 2012.

1. RunningRabbit

RunningRabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    Turn my back for three minutes making my son his dinner, and I come back to him grabbing my Coties. How he managed to get the cage they're in open, is a mystery. I thought the thing was locked up nice and tight, but apparently two year olds are awesome at proving that theory wrong.

Poor Jerk-Bird got roughed up some. Thank goodness they all got out of that encounter with nothing broken, save for a few displaced feathers. I checked them all over and they all look okay. A wee bit traumatized over getting grabbed, but okay. I gave 'em some cucumber and treats to make them feel better.

I knew I would have some trouble with him and the Coties (they got moved to my bedroom for the winter since it got so cold outside), but I never thought he'd manage to get a hold of them. At least he was holding them right and not holding them by a wing or leg!

Still though...I can't believe he did what he did in only three minutes. It would be impressive (the sneakiness and ingenuity of it all) if it weren't for the fact that he grabbed the birds. Looks like I'll need to play referee and keep a respectful distance between him and the birds for the rest of the winter.

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

You need a lock.

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Texas
    Agreed, you should keep them away

4. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Now is a good opportunity to teach him how to handle them properly and stress that he's only allowed to play with them when you are there with him. Every kid is different.

I've never needed to lock up my birds but my daughter (now 10) likes to show off the birds to her friends who visit. I trust my daughter but I don't trust her friends. The quail don't bite, but the cage birds do when provoked. More of a warning bite than actual bite, but most people won't know that and they may lash out in anger. It's funny though that the kids aren't afraid of the parakeets but they don't want to collect eggs from the quail. My cots, you have to push out of the way most of the time, they are that laid back.

My son (age 8) is a different story. I don't trust him with any of the birds. He sees me playing with the birds and he wants to do the same but I'm consistent with them and they know what to expect. I also know how far to take things and what I can get away with. He just sees me grabbing them and wants to do the same.

Cots are good birds for kids. They tend to be calm and are easy to handle. They don't bite but they can scratch really good. You could try to show him how to feed and care for them. Just a warning though, that you might find things in their cage that he's tried to "feed" them.

Also teach him that after playing with the birds he has to wash his hands.

5. TheDuke

TheDuke Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    Texas
    Definetely

6. RunningRabbit

RunningRabbit Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2012
    He already tried to feed them a hotwheels car. He really is very interested in them, and when I have them out, he loves to pet them. He just doesn't have the ability yet to understand that the birds aren't like the cats and can't be hugged and played with like them. I do have a lock for the cage (didn't have it on, as I had just finished cleaning the cage and didn't put it back yet). He'll eventually learn, until then I'll have to be on my toes when the lock is off and he goes quiet!

7. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I feel sorry for your cats! Just kidding. Yes, birds are not cats. The cats can run off and hide when they are done playing.

My FIL had a big old Maine Coon that hated men and tolerated people in general. If you walked by and the cat was under a chair (you might not even know he was there) he'd come out and attack your legs. I was really scared to let my daughter over to their house but the cat was really good with my kids. Go figure! He also knew that Grandpa was the boss and if it was my daughter vs. the cat, my daughter won every time.

It sounds like you have your hands full, but these are definitely stories to remember when your son is bigger. The time does go really quickly.

8. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Ours actually killed some chicks. After one streak of that, they now are VERY good with them. Granted, they are 3 and just now 5 years old. The cat, on the other hand, hates the youngest, because his voice is very high pitch when he gets excited.
    My mom's maine coon is similar, except that she'll entice you to pet her, THEN attack. She'll rub up on your legs and act all cutesy, let you pet her, then she'll grab ahold and bite. You have absolutely no warning either, lol.

9. chrishel

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I wonder if that is a Maine Coon thing? This cat loved to be around like a dog, but not touched. He hated men because some guys taunted him as a kitten and they continued to taunt him as an adult especially after he attacked. And of course, when someone gets hurt, it's the cat's fault. The cat would get put in a bedroom and my inlaws would get angry and the guys, but the next get together it would happen all over again.

10. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    LOL That's funny, yet not funny! My 2 year old nephew is terrified of my baby chicks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by