ARGH! Lost 2 chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kittykorat, May 12, 2010.

1. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    I just went to the farm store and got 2 day old speckled sussex chicks.

I already have a brooder set up with 3 week olds in the garage, so I put a divider in the brooder and put the two new chicks in the side closer to the heat lamp.
    I came in, gave the kids lunch, and went back out to check them, and they are dead??!! Maybe it was too hot? It was 95.. isn't that what it is supposed to be? They had a smaller area, so maybe they could not get away from the heat.
    The farm store says no guarantees or returns on chicks...
    I could set up another brooder inside to keep a closer eye on them (I'd need to buy a second heat lamp) , and go back to buy more... or just call it a loss and leave it at that... but I am puzzled.

The first bunch that I brooded I did it indoors and had no losses. I set up the brooder in the garage cause it was so messy.. But maybe if I set it up indoors and move it to the garage once they are a week or so old?

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Songster

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am sorry for the loss of your 2 new chickies. I brood in my house but anything could have happened. Were they eating and drinking? pasty butt?. Good luck on whatever you decide.

3. kittykorat

kittykorat Songster

Aug 12, 2009
    Central MA
    they were only out in the brooder for about an hour. no pasty butt, but they didnt touch the food or water.

4. fastpat

fastpat Songster

Quote:It sounds like they were "off" already. They should have been drinking and eating right away, my chicks did that almost continuously. The store that sold them to you should offer replacement, don't buy there anymore if they won't do that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by