ARGH?!?! MITES OR LICE?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Littlecimarron18, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    so i've been noticing my chickens butt feathers going missing, i thought maybe they just were needing more protein. I've seen them pick at the other ones butt feathers and eat them. Yesterday i grabbed one up that still had most of the feathers and when i flipped it over and looked, i saw these little off white bugs? i dunno what they are. I went to the the farm store and i bought some poultry protector i sprayed all my birds but i dont know what else i need to do. I've heard of dimatious earth and powder strips. I definately will need something more economical to deal with all 100 of my birds. any suggestions.

PS.
    - long time no see you all

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    DE or Sevin dust 5%-which you can get cheap in generic form from the feed store.
    You will need to treat all the birds, change and dispose of all bedding, clean house, add new bedding, treat that, dust in their dust holes and do it again in 7-10 days.
    Good luck!

3. chickenbike

chickenbike Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a recommended quantity of DE to use? I've build a chicken ark housing 4 of my girls. I've just purchased food grade DE, but am curious as to the amount necessary in the ark.

4. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    those little buggers returned! is the powder more effective than the spray?

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I had this problem over the winter and i used the dust on the birds and in their coop and dusting areas. I thourougly cleaned the coop and put the poultry dust in all the little nooks and haven't had a problem with them since. I have never used the spray only the dust which was reccomended to me by the man at the feed store who i have asked several questions about my chickens over the past year. The product i have is called Permethrin Garden and poultry dust. Hope it helps.[​IMG]

6. Littlecimarron18

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    Thanks, im gonna go to the feed store and see what they have.

Wish me luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by