ARGH SOMETHING KILLED AND SKINNED MY CHICKENS

bob12345

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 27, 2012
So i was going out to check on my chickens, when I noticed something weird. All my chickens went missing, even though the coop latch was shut and they were all in there. I went around the yard looking for them, and found 3 of my 7 chickens dead. The other 4 are missing. BUT, when I saw them, they were either skinned or halfway there, and no muscle had been punctured. The gate was closed still, but I know FOR CERTAIN that they were all in there when I shut the coop door. Does anyone know what happened to them?

Please reply soon

I'm sorry about your chickens! Did you see any holes maybe digging into your coop. A predator could have dug under the coop and taken your chickens.

So i was going out to check on my chickens, when I noticed something weird. All my chickens went missing, even though the coop latch was shut and they were all in there. I went around the yard looking for them, and found 3 of my 7 chickens dead. The other 4 are missing. BUT, when I saw them, they were either skinned or halfway there, and no muscle had been punctured. The gate was closed still, but I know FOR CERTAIN that they were all in there when I shut the coop door. Does anyone know what happened to them?

Please reply soon

Sorry for your losses, but you're gonna have to study closely, if you wish to identify the predator(s) and protect your remaining birds. Rule out nothing, 'til you figure somethin' out.

Before the sun sets, you need to closely inspect your chicken house for the point(s) of entry. Don't just look for big, obvious ones. Or, only at the floor -- but start there, and dig around a bit.

Study again for specific details. The size/shape of any wounds. Look for tracks. Anything. Here's a short list of clues, so as to give you a better idea of what you're lookin' for …

1. Several birds killed:
    • Birds mauled, but not eaten? Dogs.
    • Birds killed by small bites on body – neatly piled – some heads eaten? Mink, or Weasel, or similar related animal.
    • Heads and crops eaten on several birds? Raccoon.
  2. One or two birds killed:
    • Birds mauled, abdomen eaten? Opossum.
    • Deep marks on head and neck, some meat eaten? Owl.
  3. One bird gone – feathers remain? Fox or Coyote.
  4. Chicks killed – abdomen eaten – lingering smell? Skunk.
  5. Several birds gone – no clues? The most evil of all predators, Man (to differentiate – snake with legs).
  6. Any number (esp. chicks) gone - no feathers? Snake* without legs.

* edited to add number six, as suggested by DianaMallory (thanks ~'-)

Last edited:
Well, we just found 2 still alive, sadly both are roosters, so yeah, still missing 2

Dealin' w/ somethin' small/medium-sized most likely, that is more wary of attacking what most probably fought back (the roosters). Check the list, 'n see if there's any more details you can get to determine which predator(s) are most likely responsible.

:: edit :: I'm bettin' this will turn out to be a family of raccoon, although I'd need more info … they tend to take 'em and go, but then fight among themselves over who gets what once they feel they're a safe distance away. :: /edit ::

Last edited:
You left one off the list but this time of year it shouldn't be a problem, Birds missing no feathers - snake! Check for point of entry like cowcreek said. And fix your gap by your coop door! What ever it was it will return for the easy pickings it got!

You left one off the list but this time of year it shouldn't be a problem, Birds missing no feathers - snake! Check for point of entry like cowcreek said. And fix your gap by your coop door! What ever it was it will return for the easy pickings it got!

CoOol … a woman that does not believe man & snake to be synonymous ~'-)
I have edited, & further clarified … see post here.

Back
Top Bottom