ARGH!! they are eating thier own eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kirkster5, Mar 26, 2009.

1. kirkster5

kirkster5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2008
    My chickens have started eating thier eggs. It seems that it is the shells they are after not so much the contents. its funny to watch them chase each other around with a big chunk of shell in thier mouths but........I WANT THE EGGS!! Any suggestions as to how to break them of this new-found habit?

2. I tried hot sauce in eggs, food coloring in eggs and most every thing else, but since they all look alike and the egg is already eaten by the time I find it I don't know which hen to eat. Good Luck marrie

3. jonesgirl

jonesgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Nevada
    Mine did this for awhile. I just made sure I was out there checking for eggs every half hour or so until I found thier schedule.. Mine lay first thing, and more at about 9. So after I figured that out I make sure and get out there to pick them up as soon as possible.. I think they just got bored and thought.. oooh... this is fun!
    lol

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I agree with Jonesgirl- if you collect eggs often enough, you can put a stop to it. I guess they are too much of a temptation if they sit out there too long...

5. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Are they getting enough calcium in their diet? They need layers pellets and oyster shell. One of mine used to eat eggs but she only ate the insides, not the shells.

6. laurenlulu

laurenlulu Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Uh oh! I just got a new hen and I think she ate the insides out of her egg today. Grrrr....

7. mikefromnh

mikefromnh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    Put some rocks that are about the same size/color/shape as in egg in their nest boxes. And pick up their eggs as soon as possible

They will get tired of trying to crack open the rocks and give up in a few days. It worked for me!

I've heard golf balls will work too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by