ARGH! What is a good external HD?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by HennysMom, Jan 9, 2009.

1. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

Okay - something is on my system and I need to blow the drive and reinstall - (dont ask..tried everything I know and cant find the little bugger thats got me - nothings picking it up and I cant find it in REGISTRY either [​IMG] )

I'm looking online at external HD's so I can transfer all my pics, music and whatnot off my computer so I dont lose them. I have an 8GB USB flashdrive but - its not big enough (only 4 GB of storage due to encryption, programs already on it, etc). My computer is 120 GB.

SO...I'm looking online and I have NO IDEA what is a good external HD. [​IMG] I can read reviews all day long but when it comes down to it - I want REAL "people" - not possibly people that work for the company to promote it.

I'm on WalMart looking, they have some pretty good prices...need to check Best Buy (but they're ususally WAY WAY expensive). I dont want to spend more than $100.00, but I dont want a piece of junk either.

Thanks in advance!

Deb

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    May I suggest newegg.com for cheap electronics? (Yeah, it sounds like a chicken site, but it's really a computer stuff site... I'd know, because my DH gets stuff from them all the time. [​IMG] ). They have good brands for excellent prices, and we've never had a bad experience buying from them.

3. PunkerTechnoRoo?ter

PunkerTechnoRoo?ter Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Georgia
    Seagate Free Agents, or Western Digital My Books are very very good products.

4. HennysMom

Thanks TCL - will check it out [​IMG]

Punker - TY too! [​IMG]

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    I started off with one Trojan the other day now I have 106!!! can someone help me also...I have deleted browsing history and cookie stuff...(including all my fav sites....doh!!!!)...but my comp is still slow and starting up is a nightmare.....please bear in mind that one is a relative newbie to comps compared to the "Young ones" on the site.....

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is there a Fry's electronics near you?

Can't beat their prices... you can also find them online.....

Here you goFry's electronics

7. HennysMom

OOOH OOOH EC I can help you!! [​IMG]

I have a TON of stuff on my system (removers, blockers, etc) that have worked beautifully for years now - and I now know what my issue is with MY computer (thank god..its only taken me forever to figure it out today) [​IMG] Mine is being caused by Microsoft Business Manager in Outlook - its faulty from an SP3 update - so I deleted it (dont use it, wont affect my computer) ANYHOW I digress..

Here are some that I use that clean my system VERY well - and all are FREE:

Spyware Blaster - this blocks your browser from being changed and hijacked (you wont even know it happens) - things phish in and lock onto "hotkeys", sneaking into your registry and staying there. This program stops them dead before they even try.

Spyware Terminator - removes ad-ware and has Real-Time protection along with it

AVAST (anti-virus software) - updates all on its own regularly and you can schedule runs for it.

CWSHREDDER - this shreds CoolWare (malware) - and creates a log. Walks you thru step by step and will even fix it for you if found.

Ad-Aware - also removes ad-ware but not as good as Spyware Terminator does (my opinion). They each have their own benefit which is why I run them both, one right after the other.

Yes I have them ALL on my computer and here's why: some catch some things and some catch others. Ad-Aware does a good job most of the time, but... I can run it and delete what it catches, then run Spyware Terminator and Terminator catches TONS of stuff Ad-Aware didnt.

You can find all of them online and download for free - check download.com or CNET . Lavasoft makes AdAware - TrendMicro makes CWShredder - Spyware Terminator and Spyware Blaster are made by the same company as well.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  8. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Seagate or Western Digital are the common trusted favorites of us "Techies". [​IMG]

9. HennysMom

Okay.. I bought a Western Digital 250 GB about 15 mins ago..so...

It better be as good as what it says it is online...or I'm gonna be upset LOL

Thanks for y'a'lls help on this - much appreciated!

10. EliteTempleton

EliteTempleton Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    SW MI
    Quote:Just don't install to Anti-Virus programs at once. That's a really bad idea.

I used to use all the same ones when I used Windows(I'm now one of those Linux users... Hence the penguin icon.) Except Spyware Terminator.

I have links to my fav apps for fighting off CPU infections on Windows machines here.

The best of the best are:
    OpenDNS
    Use Firefox instead of Internet Explorer
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Spyware Blaster
    I list Foxit Reader because it not only works better then Adobe Reader but is not commonly used so is therefore more secure because there is little motivation to write malicious code to attack it.

Also, I have a few wonderful add-ons to make Firefox better and browsing more secure, I can list those if desired as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by