Arizona Chicken Ordinances

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by mejen, Aug 29, 2010.

1. mejen

mejen New Egg

Aug 29, 2010
    I live in Pinal County in Arizona, San Tan Valley. I am in a subdivision with a HOA and am on .32 acres. I have two chickens as pets (and for the eggs of course). I've searched the Internet looking for any rules regarding this and am unable to locate any. Would someone be able to tell me what is and is not allowed???

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    First, read your CC&R's. If they disallow poultry or fowl or chickens, you're stuck, regardless of the ordinances. In Arizona "livestock" does not include non-mammals. However, if they disallow livestock, you may have to fight to prove that chickens are not livestock. And if there is a definitions section that includes them as livestock, then they are as far as the CC&Rs are concerned. Drive through your neighborhood. Do other people keep chickens or goats or sheep or horses or cattle or turkeys or geese? Cannot legally enforce against one person when it has not been enforced against others.

Is San Tan Valley incorporated? If so, check their zoning ordinances and city code. If not, check your county zoning and ordinances. Chances are pretty high that the county will allow, but you need to verify it yourself.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by