1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Arizona Giant Crab Spiders

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by lovmychicks, Nov 6, 2012.

1. lovmychicks

lovmychicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Does anyone know if the giant crab spider will hurt my chickens 4 are born Sep. 24 and 2 are born Oct. 18th, all are outside in a coop and I caught the spider on the inside wall of the coop it was ontop but droped in when I tried to caputure it. (finally got it though). Still alive in bowl accidentally took 2 legs off when cathing it. One from each side, if not harmful and i let it go will it still be able to survive.

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    While I might wonder about chicks with such a spider for the first few days, yours are at very low risk at their age.

3. lovmychicks

lovmychicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2012
    Thank you, I still have the spider locked up waiting for a friend of mine who knows about spiders (not a professional but is interested in them), but they have no idea about chickens so I thought I would ask. They eat flys, moths, mosquitos when they catch them, and lizards. But I have yet to see them eat a spider so I was really worried. I almost touched it last night when checking on the babies and saw it move that is how I found it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by