Arizona Wild Chickens

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Wunderpus, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Wunderpus

Wunderpus New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello all, first time posting on this site!

I'm moving into a neighborhood which has approx. 500 wild chickens that roam it. They are protected as well. I have always wanted to own chickens, but have always lived in condos. My question is- if I build a coop in my backyard (where they roam) will some of them nest there permanently? Sorry, my chicken knowledge is not very good, haha. Thanks again for your help!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If you provide feed, water and a protected area where they can nest, they may very well 'adopt' you.

3. Wunderpus

Wunderpus New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    sourland, thank you for your reply! I assume if I feed them properly, their eggs will be good to eat? Also, if down the road I decide to set up my own coop, would it be advised to not let mine socialize with the wild ones, for fear of disease etc?

4. valvanderbeak

valvanderbeak New Egg

Oct 12, 2014
    Eloy, Arizona
    My Coop
    It can never hurt to be cautious of other birds hanging out with your flock. If your flock gets a fatal disease, chances are it came from other birds.

Where are the wild chickens? I have heard there a few places around Phoenix and Gilbert that have chickens running around at large. We are in Tempe.

5. Wunderpus

Wunderpus New Egg

Oct 7, 2014
    The chickens are at 36th street and indian school, in Phoenix.

6. mirasmom

mirasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2013
    South Phoenix AZ
    How does one define / recognize, a wild chicken? You should put up pictures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by