ARKANSAS--BO, WR, Marans roos (PICS)

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by ninjapoodles, Dec 11, 2008.

1. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    We have a pen of "boys" that we're getting ready to butcher, but there are a few in there who I think might be worthy of being spared, if anyone in the area could use them. I'd be willing to let 2 or 3 go. We have White Rock, Buff Orpington, and Cuckoo Marans. The pictures aren't the greatest, because it was cold and windy, and everyone was sucking their necks down--they really DO have necks, I swear!

bbRedMom has first choice, but after that, they're all up for grabs. I didn't get them all in the pictures, but there are 18 of them, and these pics will give you an idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    would you ship? if so id be interested in 1 or 2 of your cuckoo marans

3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Those look pretty yummy to me... and gorgeous too!

4. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Oh, these cuckoo marans wouldn't be worth the cost of shipping (though they do look pretty in the pictures, huh?). They came from MMH, not from a breeder, and they have lots of conformational faults according to the French breed standard, and the batch we got had LOTS of leg/toe deformities (not these cockerels, but still--they must be related).

I think if someone local wanted them just to help darken up egg color in a mixed flock, they'd be perfect. But for the cost of shipping, you should really have something NICE.

I'll post later if I thin my group of CB Marans cockerels.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  5. bbRedMom

bbRedMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    They're all so pretty! I can't decide-you pick for me! Whichever one is sweetest.

6. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:I have been DYING to sample one of these Marans as a roasting/grilling bird. When you pick them up, they're much heavier than the BO or WRs, but I don't know how much of that is bone. The whole reason that we have Marans cockerels running with the free-range flock is to produce a hybrid dual-purpose bird...the Marans seem to be a little "breast-ier" than the Orps.

We'd really like to get to the point where all of our chicken meat comes from our extra roos.

7. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:The Orps are definitely the most laid-back. It's up to you--the Marans might give you darker egg-layers in the second generation, and the WRs might "beef up" a dual-purpose meat bird?

Whichever breed you like, there is at least one gorgeous one of that breed that I can pull! Since you're getting BO pullets, if you want to hatch purebred chicks you could just go with the BO. The Marans seem to be REALLY good flock guardians for free-ranging flocks.

Yes, I have been exactly no help! [​IMG]

8. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    well the problem is....i cant afford the "nice" ones lol...i figure i gotta start somewhere lol

9. ninjapoodles

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:Do you care which variety Marans you get? I have some very nice copper-blacks, and once they're laying consistently, I'll be happy to share eggs with you, if you're interested in hatching your own. We'll consider it "fertility testing." [​IMG]

If you want to start with less expensive cuckoo Marans, several of the hatcheries offer them, really cheap! Ours from MMH (and some other people I know) did have some toe and leg problems, so I'm not sure I'd recommend them for this breed, but other hatcheries have them.

10. kryptoniteqhs

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    oooo yes!! i wanted the copper marans more...but with the way marans are going right now i figured i take any of them lol.....but yes i would most definitely "fertility test" for you!!!!!! Copper Marans are #1 right now on my wish list!!! (hey, ill even take one egg if thats all you got....yes i know its obvious that i am desperate...all well)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by