Arkansas Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CuckooNest, May 1, 2009.

1. CuckooNest

CuckooNest New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Figured I should introduce myself, I’ve been evolving myself towards sufficient living for probably 5 years now, been researching chicken husbandry on and off again for about a year now. Pushing mid 30’s and reside in central Arkansas so what better way to make use of my spare time huh? Getting old, yeah it’s everything they say, Arkansas not so much. I did relocate here by choice so I’m biased but getting back to nature is only a few short miles from the city and with it’s pristine lakes and diverse foothills it’s a great place for a simple man such as myself.

I’ve lurked these boards for some time now, admired and brainstormed from the coop gallery but finally took the plunge today. No I haven’t bought my first chick yet but after I had one of those rare moments of genius, that or the blunt force of the obvious that struck me head on (more on that later), so I swung by the hardware store on the way home from work and picked up a bundle of 2x2’s to get to work on the coop. Besides, I’ve finished with the majority of the spring gardening chores and was really looking forward to a new experience and the satisfaction I get from living a more self sustainable lifestyle. I look to raise 4-6 multi-purpose birds mostly for egg production but with enough meat on their bones after a couple yearsJ, hopefully the local has some RIReds tomorrow.

So anyway, I wanted to say hey to everyone before I posted my build and began communicating with yall now that I’ve registered. I hope you’ll have a look at my build and give me your input, I’ll be looking to improve my skills and setup so your input is much appreciated. I’m a scholar of ZED or Zero Energy Design for residential and commercial buildings with a CAD background and hope to implement several “Alternative Designs” to the coop including passive heating via Trombe wall or solar collectors and radiant floor. I’ve chosen the soap box design for my coop to improve passive air flow as well as lighting.

Great to meet ya,
    ~CuckooNest~

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

[​IMG] hiya Arkansan!

[​IMG]

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] and hello Mr. Cuckoo! Pffft 4 or 6 chickens hmmm?? We'll see about that then. [​IMG]

Nice to meet you. [​IMG]

4. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    Welcome and please do post a bit on the passive heating projects, sounds cozy and everyone likes cozy chickens

8)

5. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Welcome

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    [​IMG]

7. CuckooNest

CuckooNest New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Thanks everyone, just posted my build thread here if you wana have a look. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=2091129#p2091129

Tala
    : Wow great to see someone local, someone as close as Benton. I'm in Pulaski county but briefly pass through Saline on my daily commute, I'm nestled just inside one of the county line stairsteps if you know what I mean. I still laugh everyday when I see the sign at the county line "WARNING Entering Saline County, Jail space still available" Cracks me up!

Chicky Tocks: I'm know to have an addictive peronality, how many chickens can I fit on 4 acres with a pair of horses before they start getting trampled? I've thought about it already but as faras egg production I'll already be giving them away to neighbors.

RevaVirginia: I do look forward to implementing alternative energy designs on the coop but it's unlikely that I'll have much to show before fall. Who knows though, I'm passionate about it and this is a great opportunity to scale down some standard designs and experiment with my own but until the weather cools off much of it will be counterproductive. However I will surely be designing and sharing my ideas long before the time of need arises. If I get bored enough I might even try implementing some solar cooling techniques although I' not sure they're worth the costs involved.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

10. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher