Arkansas Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by handyman42, Oct 18, 2013.

1. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Hey y'all, I am going to begin my adventure with breeding next year and have chosen The Buff Orpington as my stock. Reasons being:
    1) Good Egg Layers
    2) Decent Meat birds
    3) Great Personalities
    4) Beautiful Birds.
    I was wandering if there were any other Buff Orpington breeders in Arkansas that could give me any pointers in my endeavor.
    I don't believe my stock is up to snuff with the American Standard of Perfection (unfortunately) but for starters I think it'll work. Although, in the near future I would like to have some Buff's that have been bred true. Maybe for 2015. Any advice, insight or info is welcome.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Seth

2. glendaschicks

glendaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Welcome from SW Arkansas. Good luck with your adventure! We currently have six Buff Orps, and while they are beautiful and have great personalities, I can't comment on the first two reasons, as they are only about 19-20 weeks.

3. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Well I have 5 I got from a friend and they lay large to extra large light brown (some even pink tinted) eggs and most of them lay on average once a day. As far as the decent meat birds bit I was going off hearsay there. I had some BO/RIR crosses that did ok considering my feeding habits weren't the greatest for them. (Couldn't afford the high protein feed) but next year as soon as I figure out what's a cockerel they'll get separated and fed a turkey starter at 28% protein so that should beef them up a bit. Thanks for the welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by