Arlene came back!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ScotianChick, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010

Arlene has been gone for about two weeks and she came back!! I couldn't believe. I came home yesterday on my lunch break which is odd for me and then I was feeding the chickens and heard a noise... it was like a chicken was screaming. She came barreling around the corner and started gorging on the food. She was all puffed up and broody but there she was! I grabbed her and put her in a cage with food and water. I cooled her down a little with an icepack and sat the cage in a nice cool spot in the barn. She disappeared two weeks ago after having laid eggs in a secret nest (that I still have yet to find) and I assume she went broody on it. I am a little sad that there are probably half formed chicks that are now dead but she's safer in a cage than in the woods.
  2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Well that's a sigh of relief!
  3. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    Oh that's wonderful! I have a hen that spent most the night in the woods after being spooked. About 5 a.m. we took our hunting dog out and she led us to her. She was so happy, she ran over and sat there like, "Okay just pick me up and take me home." Glad your girl is home.
  4. ScotianChick

ScotianChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Mine normally is very wary but was so hungry and busy gorging I was able to grab her and hide her in the house while I found a place for her in the barn!
  5. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    must be scary for hens that go broody in the wild areas. Can't imagine being in an unprotected place, and guarding the eggs with every fiber of one's being. It must have been something big that got her moving back home, or serious hunger/thirst. Glad she is home!!!
  6. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    So glad she is alright !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by