Arms Full of Chickens!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jenkassai, Jul 12, 2011.

1. jenkassai

jenkassai Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    So I was spending a little time with my girls, who are still in their brooder but will be moving out shortly. My Dominiques love to be picked up and cuddled, and I make sure I do it for a little bit each day. This morning I got a surprise - my Buff Brahma (Bebe) actually wanted to be cuddled! For the past week she's been coming over while I'm holding and talking to one of the Dom girls, seemingly curious about what was going on, but if I put my hand out toward her she'd walk away. This morning she came over and was looking, so I put my hand out toward her and she stayed there! So I picked her up, and she nestled right in, immediately started to close her eyes as I was petting her [​IMG] Tonight she actually flew up onto me while I was holding someone else! Soooo cute!!! I just love my chickens [​IMG] My Silver Sebright, Smidge, still has me dying of curiosity whether or not she is a he, but has been very fun! I have read a few comments that they are mean, and I'm wondering do they start out mean, or turn mean? So far Smidge does not like to be picked up, but WILL fly up to land on me (or another chick if they are in the way) and does like to cuddle a bit, on her / his own terms. Much a like a cat [​IMG] Smidge has not shown any meanness yet, but I'm watching closely. Anyways, tonight it was nearly impossible to cuddle just one!! First the Dom girls as they always come running and stand there expectantly. I was holding one, then Bebe tried to fly up onto me, and landed on an arm, then Smidge got in on the act! I was standing there with an arm full of chickens!!!! Wish hubby could have gotten a pic!

I was wondering, at what age, or is there an age, do you start calling them pullets? The bigger girls seem too big to be called chicks anymore [​IMG] Maybe the more correct question is, at what age do you stop calling them chicks??

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Haha mine are the same. Pullets are females under a year. My Light Brahma is about 10 weeks old now, and she actually flies/jumps out of the coop into my arms ! I love it, but if she does it when she gets near the 10 pound mark, she might knock me over [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by