around 24+ weeks and no eggs! whats up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenlover237, Oct 9, 2012.

1. chickenlover237

chickenlover237 Chillin' With My Peeps

so we started with 5 hens in late march then a week later got 6 chicks unsexed. a few weeks later one died because she was crushed by a baby gate then one died of cocoi, then a few months later two died from a dog attack and recently I lost one because it ran away then we had a racoon or possum attack. so now we have four hens and two roosters still no eggs! the only hens left are three of the initial 5 and one of the second set. So I have no eggs what gives? am I doing something wrong? their faces are constantly red but their comb's and wattles are still small exept for one.

2. chickenlover237

forgot to add two are production red's one is an austrolorp and one is unknown.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    How old are your hens now? Some breeds start very early (16 weeks) and some at around 24 weeks only. Average is around 20 weeks of age. You must also keep in mind the time of the year and the shorter days. Hens need around 14-16 hours of good light every day to keep them laying. So if the days are getting too short they may only start laying in spring, unless you provide extra light in their coop.

4. chickenlover237

today they are 28 weeks and 6 days, today was the first cold day we have had this year.

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They should have started laying by now. Are you feeding them layer food? Do they free range?

6. chickenlover237

they have had layer food since they were 18 weeks and they free range for at least an hour a day every other day.

7. daisy06

daisy06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Since it's fall, it may take them longer to start laying. You should probably see eggs around February. I have an austrolorp who should be laying now, but since its fall I won't see any eggs for a few months. Hens tend to quit laying around this time anyway. Buff orps usually lay during this season, I think. So it is normal that you are not seeing eggs right now. I know- very frustrating. [​IMG]

8. chickenlover237

well my dad has threatened that if we don't get any eggs soon the chickens are gonna be dinner and the coop is gonna be a doghouse. is there anything I can do? a friend across the street got some austrolorps at the same time I did and hers just started laying a few weeks ago.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  9. daisy06

daisy06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2012
    Hmmm... Well, that is a difficult situation. The hens won't just lay because its their time according to a "breed chart". Its fall and they honestly won't lay right now, I don't think. My hens have been very slow (I only get one or two eggs every now and then). I don't know what to say about your friend's austrolorps laying except that they may have been ready to lay and the weather was warmer. Your hens are 28? Then I guess they should have started laying, but it depends on their breed. What breed are they? Some breed tend to have a slow start.

10. chickenlover237

two are production reds, one is a austrolorp and one is a mix breed. i'll post pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by