1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Around 9 day old chick bleeding out either vent or navel.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 4lovingchickens, Mar 8, 2013.

1. 4lovingchickens

4lovingchickens New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hi,
    I have a chick who is bleeding in it's back end. It is a black Australorp. We just bought 8 chicks this past Tuesday. 4 barred rocks and 4 black Australorps. All the chickens are in a very large box with a heat lamp over one side. they have access to food and water 24/7. we are feeding them Dumor chick starter/grower. All the chicks were going crazy and flapping around in the box so I went over there to check it out. I picked up the chick who seemed to be the cause and when i put him down i realized there was blood on my hand. i picked him/her back up and found he was bleeding out what i assumed was his vent. after some research I realized it could be his navel. I am not sure, I am not very good at telling. on Wednesday, there was a chick that had poop stuck to its but that wouldn't come of. we got a damp paper towel and gently and slowly did pull it out. we watched that chick extra carefully for the next several hours but soon we couldn't tell him apart because the swelling had gone down an his fluff had dried. this is most likely the same chick and i don't know what to do or what caused it. Please help! I have narrowed it down to probably 3 causes, but it could be something else too: Coccidiosis, dehydration from to high temperature, or the other chicks pecking at this one today and the dry poop having no connection to this. I am at loss as to what to do with this chick. he/she pooped normally and then about 2 minutes later pooped a basically brown water poop, if that makes any sense. the chick is separated We are new to chickens, we have around 20 adult chickens living in our backyard that we got October 2012. I have often read different threads on backyard chickens, but never joined until today. i hope you can understand what is going on, i am in a hurry to help this chick. Anything will help, thanks!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    1 person likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Great advice. Welcome to BYC, and good luck with this chick.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

5. 4lovingchickens

4lovingchickens New Egg

Mar 8, 2013
    Hey!
    You guys are so nice and welcoming! Thank You! As for the chick, we kept it separated for a day and watched it closely. It seemed to be doing okay so we put it back with the other chicks and within a few minutes he was being pecked at. we tried again a few hours later and the same thing happened. Then, the next morning we tried again and they left him alone. he is doing good and is just another one of the chicks now. thanks for all your help and support!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]
    chicks will peck at anything that draws their eye, if there is an open sore or wound I would get some BlueKote and spray the area just in case.

1 person likes this.
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I'm glad to hear your chick is better. BluKote is great as it masks the blood that attracts the other chick's attention and gives wounds time to heal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by