ARRGGhhh How frustrating!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jul 1, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Yesterday was Day 16, I have had constant temps with my Homemade incubator.

Last night I went to bed and it was 99.9 with a 50% hum.

This morning I go check and the temp was 96!!!!! Someone left the front window open and it chilled the room.

I am not sure how many hours it was down...I got it back up to 100 within 15 min...but geeshhh!

I have already gone from 8 eggs down to 5 (3 were not fertile) then I dropped a good one candling on Day 10 [​IMG]

Now I have 4 left and 3 look good and one is iffy (haven't seen movement at all and it has not filled the egg like the other 3)

Frustrating how much time and emotion you invest to have a failure. Right now I am just hoping for at least 3 of the 4....That's 75% right?????

*sigh*

2. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    the eggs getting cooled is like the hen getting off them. don't worry yet, just add one extra day to when you think they will hatch as cooling slows the incubator process.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I agree, 96 shouldn't kill anybody at this stage, it will just slow down the hatch by a few hours to maybe a day. I wouldn't worry too much about it -- I'd much rather face an incubator that was at 96 overnight than one that spiked to 110 or fell to 75.

Just don't forget to slap "someone" on the top of the head and tell them to never do it again.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts. I have had my incubator go down to 78 degrees and still had a good hatch. Most hatched a day later.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:I agree with the others - it shouldn't be a problem. That's not a huge dip. However, I would caution you to say your hatching eggs were not fertile; you really can't tell once they have been incubated for a few days, and if you purchased these eggs from a breeder, you could be making comments that could be considered inflammatory. Just sayin'.

6. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    I had the same issue yesterday, except it was my fault. I have a forced air LG that stays pretty consistent, but I opened it and forgot to make sure the turner's power cord was in the indent in the bottom before closing. I came in a few hours later and it was down to 96 or 97. I candled last night and they were moving, so hopefully it'll just slow them down a few hours.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:You know, come to think of it, I had the same problem with my tabletop Brinsea one time - I'd completely fogotten! I don't recall how many hours my temp was a bit low, but I had an excellent hatch of 11 out of 13 shipped eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by