ARRGH! Can this be prevented?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tom e, Jun 14, 2011.

1. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I hate introducing new pullets to the flock.

Worst part is, I THINK my problem was totally preventable.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Instead of hatching eggs, if I had given them to my broodies to hatch and raise, would they have been considered part of the flock from day one? Or would the other birds still have tried to hurt them? I have a feeling that if my Orpington had hatched these eggs instead of me (via the incubator) they would have found their way into the pecking order from birth.

Anyway, just wondering if there is a better way- what are your thoughts on this?

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Yes, if the broody had hatched the eggs there wouldn't be a problem with having to introduce new chicks to the flock. The broody would protect and raise the young. Once they got old enough they would fall right into the "pecking order" of things.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Having the same problem! Dont know what to do! [​IMG]

4. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    I've been through these introductions enough to know that they will pass if they are just between hens and pullets- And mine currently are, so I'm not that worried. I'm just wondering if I'm right in thinking I can avoid it all together (and raise up 'back up' roos in the process) if I just let them hatch as a part of the flock. I believe this to be the case, but then I don't know where I got that information, lol.

For all I know, maybe a broody and her eggs should be separated from the flock also?

5. tom e

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    Love my Critters! :

Yes, if the broody had hatched the eggs there wouldn't be a problem with having to introduce new chicks to the flock. The broody would protect and raise the young. Once they got old enough they would fall right into the "pecking order" of things.

Sorry! Didn't see this post. That's sooo good to hear. I kind of figured it was this way, since I've seen a mother hen running around in another person's flock- all her babies chasing after her and no trouble from the other girls. Just didn't want to assume any reasons.

From now on I will do it this way!​

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, I'm lazy and prefer to let the hen do the work. She's such a better momma than I am to the babies. And like you said, she protects them at first so there's not a lot of drama later.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's not always rosy when a hen tries to raise chicks within a flock. Someone I know just came home to five dead chicks--some flock member(s) killed all the broody's chicks while they were away at work. I've heard of it happening from several people.

8. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    I have my chicks with their momma in the coop.
    They are in a wire/wood frame cage we built last year when we were introducing the babies we raised in the garage to the outdoors.
    The other birds can see them. The roosters love the babies.
    They were out today while I was cleaning the coop, kept a close eye on everyone, but nobody even thought about hurting the babies.
    My lead hen, Lenore...she bumped one in the butt with her head because it was standing on something she wanted. [​IMG]

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Integrating new birds to a flock that's already established can be very difficult.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have five sets of chicks that were all hatched in the coop and raised in the coop. This evening I noticed that one of the 3 month olds has apparently worked herself up in the pecking order; she was roosting on the adults roost. I love my broodies.....I just don't want anymore of them at the present time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by