1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Arrghh! They refuse to let Melvin mate with them yet again! Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    My beloved cockerell Melvin is a little over 6 months old and I want him to mate (even if it is early and he may not be ready). He's a coronation sussex and wonderful! But my girls just won't let him mate with them. Melvin tries and they fight back. Melvin goes near Envy (he seems to like her the most) and Envy will spar at him and he'll flee.
    He's a big boy I think he should at least mate with one of my various mutts, but why won't my girls let him? They wouldn't let my previous roos mate with them either.

2. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    You're sending a boy to do a man's job.

Let him finish growing up. He'll take care of it when he's ready.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]

5. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

A.T. Hagan :

You're sending a boy to do a man's job.

Let him finish growing up. He'll take care of it when he's ready.

Yup,.. trust the hens,. they'll know when he's ready,.​

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My rooster was beat up horribly when he was young. One of the members here told me the hens were teaching him humility. Anyhow, when he matured further, he climbed the pecking order one hen at a time starting with the lowest ranking hen. He's now top dude and fertility is fabulous. So don't worry, yours will get there too.

7. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Maybe the girls think he is ugly? You never know what goes on in a womans mind.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Nah. According to my DH, it's not about looks but the pocketbook. I tell him that I got screwed then, cuz he didn't have anything when I married him. [​IMG]

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Nah. According to my DH, it's not about looks but the pocketbook. I tell him that I got screwed then, cuz he didn't have anything when I married him. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes I agree with the others, let him mature and he will find his way with the ladies!

My Wellie roo was that way and he is slowly wooing them back into his circle.

10. MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    Colorado Plains
    Having a similar problem. Got a new juvenile roo Monday night because he'd started crowing so the owner couldn't keep him. So far, althought my girls don't pick on him, they do peck at him when he passes by. He tries to stay on the top roost, except when trying to escape through the tarp-covered ceiling (ouch) or go through a tiny hole in the kennel wire-wall (ouch again).

I have someone waiting on the fertilized eggs (because he's a beautiful blue ee) so I'm asking too ... anything to help move things along?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by