Arrghhh I dropped a newly hatched chick!! Updated with photo - GRAPHIC

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by busylizzie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. busylizzie

busylizzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    I feel terrible - it jumped out of my hands as I was moving it from the incubator to
    the brooder......It seems to have a prolapse of its guts (?) not from the vent but from
    what I would imagine is the umbilicus? I am assuming it is doomed but I thought I would
    just check that there is nothing I can do for it......[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. kickinchicken

kickinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Could you rinse it with a warm saline solution? Apply non-stick sterile gauze and wrap with rolled gauze around the belly, firmly but not tightly. It could be just like a hernia. Perhaps applying pressure and keeping it clean will help it go black into place. Give the little guy some electrolytes in his water and vitamins to help his immune system fight off any possible infections that might arise out of an open belly.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    The "prolapse" probably isn't from the fall. Have you seen hatcheries toss day old chicks? Makes me cringe...but they are fine. Post a picture. This thing coming out of its abdomen will likely dry up and become normal...UNLESS it is it's guts. Pictures help tell the story.

4. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    [​IMG] Were the "guts" prolapsed before you dropped it or did they come out as it hit the floor? If its bleeding.. not good [​IMG] I have had some hatch with an "open" umbilicus, but not anything coming out. Hope someone has a better idea.. good luck!

5. busylizzie

Aug 4, 2009
    I didn't get a chance to check it before I dropped it so it might have had a little opening but once I dropped it
    definately more came out and over the following 30 mins more and more came out......but now it has dropped
    off!??? could it be the partially absorbed yolk sac? photo coming!

6. busylizzie

Aug 4, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Hmmm...that doesn't look so good, but it is still hard to tell. Get some vitamin water in your chick asap. Keep it warm and away from the other chicks...they will peck at an open wound. Not being able to tell what that mass is in the picture leaves me with no useful advice. Best of luck...keep us posted.

8. Afrochicken

Afrochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Toms River, NJ
    awww poor thing... [​IMG] i feel so bad that it has to suffer!! why cant baby chicks fly!?!?! [​IMG] [​IMG] hopeflly it will soon be this!! [​IMG]

9. NaomiSarah

NaomiSarah Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2010
    That really doesn't look like yolk... can you post another pic of the chick's belly? Because if it's guts are really out and it's suffering, you need to cull the poor thing... Can we see the chick's tummy area?

DONT FEEL BAD. We all do these things. Trust me, you're not alone.

10. Muggsmagee

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Agreed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by