1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Arrival of new chicks!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jrudolph305, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jrudolph305

jrudolph305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    [​IMG]

Just got our oder from Meyer hatchery and all 19 arrived alive and appear to be in good health. Couple were wobbly at first but I think they got their legs under them now. I guess the first couple days will determine survival rate. Chicks were shipped Monday and received them today--Wednesday. Have had chickens in the past but this is our first attempt at day olds.
    4-black austrolorps, 4-barred rock, 3-new hampshire red, 5-rhode island red (1 of which is a rooster), 3-white rock.

2. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    So very cute! I hope you enjoy them!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations!

I always put my waterer in a corner of my brooder box and on top of a small block with marbles in the water.

Moving it up, keeps the water cleaner and the marbles keeps little ones from drowning.

GOOD LUCK!

I'm "expecting" chicks for Easter!

4. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Last 18 hours we lost 2 chicks. One was just lying in brooder and tried to get her to drink--water with sav-a-chick--and eat but to no avail. The 2nd one was one that looked listless from the begining but perked up. Both appeared to be much smaller than the others. Don't know if they were smaller because they were dieing or died because they were smaller. As of now the rest look very perky and active. They are 5 days old so hoping those that survived this long will make it.

5. Megan Amber

Megan Amber Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the rest will be fine. Sometimes there's just a couple weak chicks.

6. tackleberry

tackleberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    OZ
    I just brought home 3 california white pullets last nite from Orscheln's. My daughter went to put them in the cage/brooder and when I went out one was missing. Couldnt find her anywhere so I just needed to tell someone my baby chickee is gone and I am sad.

7. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Tackleberry--sorry to hear of your missing chick. Any idea how she got out or where she went??

8. jrudolph305

Dec 1, 2009
    Meadows of Dan, Va
    Girls are now one week old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BCollie

BCollie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    Redding, CA
    Oh my gosh, they are very cute. [​IMG]