Arrrg To Much Thinking

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by [email protected], Oct 30, 2011.

1. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    So if any of you rember me Im the guy who wanted to hatch trader joes eggs without my parents knowing. Well they know and now i can hatch some eggs. I have an incubater that i learned to build on byc so dont worry about that. Its gonna be the same project but done right my question is when they hatch i know they can go like 2 days without w/o eating but would it be alright to feed a chick bread just crumbled bread. For those 2 days. The chicken food is at my other house so it would be like a day or two till i go there to let the chick live there plz reply:fl:confused:

2. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    i would just get some of the feed before they hatch if you can. i personaly wouldnt want to risk the wait. the sooner the better. i wouldnt feed them bread unless soaked in water to make the bread soft and expanded. if its not soaked it can expand in their stomics and kill them. best thing to do is have some feed ready for them though and a shallow dish with clean peables in it for water (dont want them to drown in a shallow dish)

3. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    make sure you have the brooder ready to. i dont remeber the temp it should be at for new borns, i think its 100.

4. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    Quote:Holy Cow i didnt know bread could do that i will try to get some feed from my other house but for water wise what would you sugest a bowl?

5. hdowden

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    anything shallow, small bowl or saucer would probley work, and it has to have the rocks in it so they dont drown themselves.

yea bread can be a bad thing for birds since it doesnt expand when they first eat it so they tend to eat it till they are full and its usally to much for their stomics to handle. i had some that ate to much with it out being soaked in water and they ended up dying from it [​IMG] rice can do the same thing, thats why no one throws rice at weddings anymore the wild birds would eat and die

6. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    [​IMG] Jar lids with the glass marbles that you can get at the dollar stores. The marbles are shiny so they will like to peck at them - learning where their water is - but it will keep them from drowning if they get in it. [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by