ARRRHHH Darn Raccooon!!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by bobwhitelover, Jul 18, 2011.

1. bobwhitelover

bobwhitelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Ugh we have i guess a HUGE raccoon that keeps breaking into the garage he has chewed all the stuff that keeps the wind out on the bottom off. He has eaten alot of our dog and cat food and now he took to breaking into the rabbit area!!! He just finished off all my quail food. I put the leftovers into a nice bucket and he chewed the bucket down! He also just is making a complete mess of everything!! We have tried traping him in a live trap but that didn't work he was so good that he got out everytime! My dad suggested trying the trap that breaks their back legs but thats just horrible plus we have cats that have gotten stuck in our live traps before and they would definitly break into the leg breaking trap. This raccoon has destroyed alot of my nice extra rabbit cages and ruined them i am at wits end! Any advise would be great!

2. Chicky Monkey

Chicky Monkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    OK, this will sound weird, but we live in the country and have coyottes, racoons, oppossoms (sp?), etc, but the only problem we've had is MICE...grrrrr! What we do, is play music pretty loud and leave a low-wattage light on. Also, if you have a continuous play mode on your player and can record yourself or several people talking, you might try playing that pretty loud with the light on all night. Just a crazy thought.....GOOD LUCK!

3. bobwhitelover

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    It will stress out my nursing rabbits if i play music but good idea!!!!! thanks for the suggestion! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I would pick a night, set up a chair, load your gun and wait. He will be back.

5. bobwhitelover

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Quote:We were going to do that too!!! I am not sure though cause its so hot out i might wait for it to cool down first [​IMG]

6. Chicky Monkey

May 18, 2011
    I'm a massage therapist, so the music I play is very soothing and calming. People make fun of me for having such laid-back chickens (although they haven't been lately!). Don't know if that will make a difference with your nursing rabbits (how cute!). Oh, my....sitting there all night with a gun, waiting for the racoon? Images of Elmer Fudd and Bugs Bunny are popping into my mind!! [​IMG]

7. bobwhitelover

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Hahahhha [​IMG] I should try soothing music maybe it will relax my rabbits in this 100% heat!!! Heres pics of babies i have!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Chicky Monkey

May 18, 2011
    Oh, WOW! How CUTE are those sweet things! What fun that must be (although I'm sure it's alot of work, too!). They are SO adorable...thank you for sharing!!

9. bobwhitelover

Apr 18, 2011
    SOmerset
    Quote:Yes they are ALOT of work i only have 9 compared to my breeder have 200 so lol i only have a little bit of work compared to her! [​IMG]

10. Chicky Monkey

May 18, 2011
    When I was young, I read a book entitled Robert the Quail. It has always been one of my favorites. If you can find it (if you like to read) I think you would love it. It's about a woman who raises an abandoned baby quail (if I remember right!).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by