Arrrrrgh, LG incubator!! i hate this thing!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by shawnkfl, May 11, 2009.

1. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    i always seem to have to fiddle with the temp control daily. it just doesn't stay constant. yesterday was the first day that i didn't have to touch it at all. it held 102* all day and was still there this morning when i left for work. i get home, and it's 104.8* [​IMG]! i have no idea how long it was that high either. can the eggs survive a spike like that? if i have to trash the eggs, this POS LG will follow them.

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    That is why I dont like LG LOL!

I know a few folks in here loves their LG incubators so they will chime in!

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Quote:I'm on the ICK couch with you both.

4. shawnkfl

shawnkfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    christiansburg, VA
    i'm convinced there is no thermostat in these LG's. i think it's just a simple relay timer turning on and off at a certain interval. turn the knob higher, it goes on and off faster, etc...i wish i knew an electrical engineer.

5. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:It is not that I love the L G, over the years I have learned how to use it. Once you get to that stage it will work for you. I place them in local schools and don't look at it but once a week
    and everything works out fine. Hatch rate of no less than 80%.

The next batch of eggs I let the students do the watching. That hatch rate is lucky to be 35%. They like to make adjustments.

I will again say to everyone (up to a point), don't throw it out. I will pay for the shipping of all that I can. On a fixed income, but have a little left over. Would love to add about 25 more class rooms next year.

6. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Trick with these are less adjusting. The wafer themostac will turn if off at the high temp, trouble the heating unit can not keep up if in a uncontrol room..

Best to worry about setting the high temp, then not worry about adjusting even when the temp start dropping. Better to cool than to hot.

Lot or reason for temp. dropping but DO NOT adjust. cool egg , room cools off, cool water all will bring temp . down

I myself hate the lg also. But in most case its people adjusting the temp. is the big mistake. remember high temp are killers

7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Welcome to the not so anonymous LG haters club, LOL.

8. Feathers Acres

Feathers Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Michigan
    I dont see why everyones always complaining about there LG's I never have had a problem with mine, they stay stable, if you leave and turn off your AC then the room temp. goes up, you need a stable room temp or its going to go up and down. Or you dont have a reliable thermometer :\\

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Again trouble is not with the thermstat, it will turn it off.

Can not have to large of a heating elements, or it would melt the styroform. The old metal incubator worked the same way, no trouble with them is they use larger heating elements, same with all the wood incubators.

Keep room temp. up and do NOT keep adjusting.

10. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    I love my LG. We put a fan kit in it. I hatched 13 of 14 guinea eggs last week. It was only my second hatch. My first hatch was ok. 16 eggs (that had been shipped) 9 chicks. Not wonderful but good for our first hatch. You might have gotten a dud. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by