Arrrrrrgggg !!!! Dang freeloaders

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by g_a_brand, Nov 8, 2009.

1. g_a_brand

g_a_brand Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    My older girls are 26 weeks old white rocks and are still not laying, [​IMG] My younger girls are going to be laying before them at this rate ( they are 18 weeks now, RIR, BR, BA ) Hubby wants to put a frying pan on the wall and for me to tell the girls that something is going in this pan !!! [​IMG]

They are on layer mash, fresh veggies, and black oil sunflower seeds so I know they are getting enough protein, its just the waiting is killing me. We have the light in the coop come on at 4am for them so they get enough light. Im about ready to give up on them and admit that they are just going to be pets. [​IMG]

Granted they are funny as all get out.... We cleaned out the coop today and changed the bedding to dried leaves ( will be adding shaveing's to it tomorrow ) boy did they freak out when I put them into the coop, it was so funny watching them trying not to step on the leaves, lol they were trying to go around the coop without stepping on the floor, the only one that would walk in the leaves was one of our older girls and the leaves came up to her belly ... [​IMG] lol she was plowing the leaves instead of walking on them .

Sorry just needed to vent about the lack of eggs [​IMG]
    and I wanted to share the story about my silly girls scared of leaves [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

They'll get around to laying soon. I had a couple go past 30 weeks last December.

Imp- Had a friend once take off her shoe and start beating a large maple leaf on the floor. Finally she stopped and said why can't I kill that spider? When everyone else in the room stopped laughing she put her glasses back on.

3. g_a_brand

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Ohhhhh I hope they don't go that long before laying..... and they like the leaves now lol they are pushing them all over the coop but they don't like the moss in the nesting boxes, they keep takeing it back out and playing with it on the coop floor , its like a game of keep away [​IMG]

4. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I have 2 barred rocks and 2 buff orpingtons that are not laying yet. My white rocks and 1 red star have been laying for 2 weeks now. They are all almost 24 weeks.[​IMG]

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awww - why is the wait killing you? They'll be ready when it's healthy for them to be ready - it's all good [​IMG] Funny about the leaves - they are such interesting beings! p.s. I don't add light during hours that it wouldn't naturally be light - it may well wear out their little bodies before their time. [​IMG] I do put a light on during normal daylight hours whenever it's gloomy or cold, to help their home seem more cheery!
    JJ

6. g_a_brand

May 28, 2009
    Debert, Nova Scotia
    Its killing me .... because I want to eat our eggs and not the stores [​IMG]
    I think they are waiting for the big run to be done before they will give me any eggs [​IMG]
    they are out growing the play pen ( our temp pen for when they were younger ) and we need another good day to finish the big run... sooooo maybe after this weekend ( if the weather holds out ) we will have the big pen done and maybe [​IMG] than they will give us some eggs lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by