Arsnic in feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by harleyjo, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    A friend who knows I am raising chickens sent me a link to an article about this. I have to supplement my chickens with feed. I can't totally free range them. So how do I know that my feed is ok?

ETA--removed link that I have seen removed before. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    This topic has been brought up and repeatedly closed. So perhaps we should leave it alone. [​IMG]

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    As has been discussed various places, the family mentioned in the article may have been feeding a broiler feed rather than a layer feed.

From my research, I believe roxarsone is not allowed to be added to layer feeds. Though I could be wrong.

4. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    This is the first I have heard of it and I am new to this. I am just wanting to understand what this is all about. Just because you have heard about it, I haven't. I will search on here and see what I can find.

5. harleyjo

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    Right now I am feeding Start and Gro to my pullets. Tried to switch to Flock Raiser this morning and my coop doesn't have it. Mine are too young to go to layer. I was feeding Layer to finish out my broilers mixed with a little soy meal. I am limited by what I can get at my coop here.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:I wasnt trying to be rude. [​IMG] If the mods have closed the topic, it has probably been deleted, and will not appear in your searches.

7. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    You can check on the ingredients list on any feed you buy and see if roxarsone is listed. It is the only ingredient that should cause a significant amount of arsenic to be in a feed.

Almost all arsenic passes through a chicken's body quickly, so you do not need to worry about future problems in eggs of chickens who are not yet laying.

Per the study that was the basis behind this article, if a government-regulated amount of roxarsone IS in a feed fed to laying chickens, it should only cause potentially high levels of arsenic if someone eats 2 eggs every day, and then only if they are a child. If would not be a problem for an adult eating that many.

8. NurseDr

NurseDr Out Of The Brooder

Why would a topic as important as arsenic poison be deleted???? When many of us have hens for a safer food supply. I read the article in the Salt Lake Tribune. The article was not well written as it did not explain the research, but raises an important issue.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    * If a topic is closed or removed do not, under any circumstances, re-post the same topic or material. If you have any questions as to why a thread was closed or removed please contact a BackYardChickens staff member.

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Hey guys,

Just an FYI on why we're closing these threads... The topic seems to be pretty contentious; threads where this is the topic have tended to go downhill into argument and have caused a lot of work for the Staff. Feel free to read the article, research its contents and discuss it with your BYC friends via PM, but we're going to keep it out of open forum for now.

The Staff doesn't have an official position on the information in the article one way or another. We're just keeping the peace as far as discussion is concerned. [​IMG]

Thanks for understanding. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by