Arthritis in a young chick - M synoviae?

Lduvet

Chirping
Apr 8, 2021
Hi everyone, I have an 8 week old orpington rooster chick with swelling of the hock and what feels like tendon sheath. He also has poor feathering, retained feather sheaths and a few bare patches. Also some very mild sneezing. He is also about 30g lighter than his sister who is the same age. I am suspecting that he could have reovirus with complications from Mycoplasma synoviae. I have separated him from the others and he is currently on metacam oral twice daily as well as tylan intramuscular injections twice daily. I have been treating him for approx 4 days so far but he had been on just metacam before when I thought that he just had viral arthritis. He has done reasonably well and from being recumbent a few days ago he can now walk and run, although he is slightly off balance and his right leg (which has the swollen hock) is rotated slightly inwards, I heard this can happen due to altered weight bearing during growth. He seems to have a good quality of life but I want to know longer term prognosis as I have not managed a similar case before. If he stays as he is after his medications are finished then I would be happy enough, but just want to know if anyone has experienced total resolution of this kind of lameness? Really want to avoid culling if I can. I made the mistake of getting extremely attached to him!

You are remarkably aware and informed of all the possibilities that could cause his lameness. He's not a breed known for fast weight gain and growth, so I would continue with the treatments you've begun and see how things progress.

In addition, I suggest treating with a B-complex to cover the possibility of a B vitamin deficiency and it may help to strengthen the legs to assist in recovery. I like the B-100 complex.

Just to update everyone, he improved on the metacam and was pretty much walking normally, but when I tried to wean him off, he started becoming less stable on his legs again. He is so bright and eating/drinking but I am going to book him in for imaging at the vet school exotics department as I have a suspicion that there is a mechanical problem too, something perhaps like cartilage damage or necrosis. Will keep everyone posted, it may be a while before I can get an appointment but he is at least happy and chirpy on his pain relief! When he is on full dose he runs about with the others. Bless him

Back
Top Bottom