arthritis

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lunchbox68, Dec 7, 2014.

1. lunchbox68

lunchbox68 New Egg

Dec 7, 2014
    Can you give a chicken glucosimine?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I haven't hear of anyone using it except for people, horses, and dogs, and I wouldn't know a dosage. How old is your chicken and what symptoms are you seeing? There are types of arthritis caused by viruses and bacteria in the bones, although age related arthritis may also be a problem.

3. lunchbox68

lunchbox68 New Egg

Dec 7, 2014
    He is about 4 yrs old and he has been checked by two vets and there is no infection or broken bones. His joint is swollen and his limp has gotten worse. He has had this issue for a couple years. I just want him to be comfortable.

4. lunchbox68

lunchbox68 New Egg

Dec 7, 2014
    He is about 4 yrs old and he has been checked by two vets and there is no infection or broken bones. His joint is swollen and his limp has gotten worse. He has had this issue for a couple years. I just want him to be comfortable.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
  6. lunchbox68

lunchbox68 New Egg

Dec 7, 2014
    Thank you for posting. It doesn't look like that. I will try to post a video or picture.

7. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I once had a rooster about the same age as yours. He became arthritic from some of the symptoms you described as arthritis. He was a special rooster to me. There is a viral arthritis which I treated the rooster for with Lincomycin injectible for 5 days. It did not relieve symptoms. To this day I do not know what it was, and would think Marek's would have been recognizable before 4-5 years of age.. I am sorry you have to deal with this.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens do get sprains, so I'm sure that arthritis may be a problem in some. We are kind of geared into thinking of diseases on here when a chicken is sick. Have you tried giving him a low dose 81mg baby aspirin twice a day? Metacam or meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory drug sometimes used in chickens. Dosage is 0.1mg-0.5mg per Kg (each 2.2 lb) every 24 hours. Here is a link for it, plus the link I found for dosage:
    http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....c&ccd=IGO050&gclid=CNWKivmZtcICFXBp7Aod8wcAnA

http://www.portec.com.au/images/Poultry Drug Guide.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by